Daniel Defense delta 5

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: Daniel Defense delta 5

Post by bobw »

bpcr shooter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am Personally I would take the 260rem over the 6.5CM any day, and for long range projectile.

Matt
Explain your rational on that if you would, no criticism intended want hear your thoughts on that
bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

bpcr shooter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am Personally I would take the 260rem over the 6.5CM any day, and for long range projectile.

Matt
Explain your rational on that if you would, no criticism intended want hear your thoughts on that
bobw
bobw
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

In a modern action I will take the 6.5x55 over most.

The 6.5x284 came into its own in the Mid 90’s.

Nancy Tompkins, won the Wimbledon cup in 1993, her shooting partner for that day was a young guy out of Wyoming, shooting a 6.5x55 Swedish FSR match rifle. Besides herself the marine corps took interest, in the 6.5 cartridge. Next year the 6.5x308 showed up aka the 260 Remington. The 6,5x284 also got extremely popular for 1000 yard shooting.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of handloads thru this Sendero, 300 Win mag, before it needed rebarreled, I'll use it for another 25yrs.
It works well to 1200 yds.
I'm not into the other games that I'm interested in a rebarrel in 1000- 1200 rds.
Not suitable for young shooters to learn on, however Savannah & Jesse loved shooting prairie dogs back when they were 12, so I guess, to each his own

When I order my AR platform it'll be chambered in 300 win mag.
Looked at a 6.5 creedmoor, bolt & AR, didn't get one.
Savannah wanted her own for deer, got her a 308, much as I've never wanted one. Would've bought her a 30-06, they are better out to 800 yds than a 308. Just wasn't anything available in 30-06 on any racks anywhere.
Not familiar with the 260 Rem. Seems to be a splitting the hairs thing between the 260 & 6.5.
As we know, those .308 cases are hard to find & when found are in short supply :roll:
So what was the resaon for splitting that hair?
Because 6.5 Creedmoor sounds cooler?

Image300 WM (2) by Brian Hickey, on Flickr
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I agree that the creed moor sounds cooler...like ultra mag and 6MM arc. Silhouette folks love the 6mm round..and Tubb and massey have made some VERY long shots at baboons with Tubb's 6mm round. But I don't think I could shoot a baboon. Steel from 100 yards to a max of around a 1000 yards is very challenging when the distances are unknown... and most of my shots at deer are usually under 40 yards so that's plenty of power for a quick kill.

Seems like everyone has 6.5 creedmoor brass and components right now and the rifles are VERY popular. The Daniel defense platform looks very attractive..and now to find someone who actually has one to get a real review.

Matt
I agree the 223 is a good round out to 500 yards. That round is legal for deer here in Oklahoma and is really just about the perfect first centerfire rifle...but My grand monkey is growing REALLY fast, so if I can buy a really good long range rifle like this in 6mm or 6.5 cm, he'll be set for a few years.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

The 6.5 Creedmoor just works well.
Short action, many rifle choices, and at times, a good selection of factory ammo.
It's popular because it works

That being said:
I'd build something and chamber it in 6.5X55
Why re-invent the wheel.

I have to many Swedish Mausers.
A CG 63 is one but the best one is a 1901 FSR rifle.
The FSR has a Soderin rear sight and an Elite front.
A poster here, Wyoduster and I were shooting 950 yard Bobcats with it one year at Ridgway.
We didn't hit them all the time though we were close enough, shooting off the sticks.

I put together a Remington 700 SA with several different "barrel nut" barrels, one of which is a Criterion 6.5x55 with 7.5 twist to use the 150gr SMK.
With a standard chamber the 150's work, but you need to remove the bolt to eject a live round because the COL is long.

Personally Glenn, I think you need to treat yourself to a nice 100+ year old Swedish Mauser.
Find one Diopter sights.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

It's one of the ones in this photo.
Those are all my Swedish, Swiss, Danish and Norwegian rifles.

C
IMG_2912-r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Craig
I'm getting older and just need something that's cheap and easy. The 6.5 cm is just that..nothing romantic, no long history and although I love OLD guns, I'd rather shoot than work on them these days. I have promised Jeanne this summer with BPCR..and then I may head off into the PR stuff. I have done a LOT of pistol stuff when i was younger and I'm still pretty good with a shotgun also..but the cheap easy shooting sports are drawing me...especially Long range 22 lr.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

The 6mm cartridges that are favored by folks I know are the Dasher & Hagar, with the 6x47 picking up some favor more recently. I shot a Dasher for a while and thought is was great. However, my favorite 6mm was Whtely's 6mmTurbo40Imp http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php in an AR chassis. F-Class X-ring accuracy at 600yd and a true pussy-cat to shoot (as are all the 6mm). Unlike the 'big' 6mm like the 243 Win, it is easy to get 2500rds+ from a barrel.

Having just gone thru all of this 6.5mm "thinking" for my Ruger No.1 here is what I've found out.
The 260Rem & 6.5 Creedmoor are essentially the same. The 260R holds a small bit more powder so is a small bit faster at the limit. However, with its short neck, in order to load the heavier bullets that advantage switches to the 6.5 Creedmoor as the longer/heavier bullet intrudes into the short-neck case of the 260R and now the 6.5 Creedmoor holds more powder. Again, these differences are minor. Both work in a SA bolt-gun.

The 6.5-284 is a barrel burner. F-Class (600 & 1000yd) shooters I know that shoot them always have a "barrel in process" as they are happy to get 1200rds out of a barrel. Expensive & time consuming to keep a good barrel on your rifle.

The 6.5x55 holds 10%+ more powder and theoretically would be the fastest of the three. However, if you load to SAAMI spec's that won't be true as they load to much lower pressures so folks don't blow up their antique 19th century Mauser, Krags & such. If you load strictly to pressure indications for a modern action the 6.5x55 will be faster and thus better for heavier bullets at longer ranges. That is what I've chosen to go with for my Ruger. The one drawback to the 6.5x55, if you think it is a drawback, is that it needs a LA in a bolt-gun. Get a real rifle like a Ruger No.1 instead of those modern, here-today-gone-tomorrow contraptions like a bolt-gun or semi-auto and you won't have to worry. Single-shot shooters of the world unite!!! ;)
Glenn
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Agree with Glenn on the similarities and differences of a 260 Rem and 6.5 CM. I don't own a 6.5 cm but do own a 260 in a Sako Carbonlight model. It is almost exclusively a hunting rifle owning a 20.5" barrel and high tech stock and weighs only 5 lbs without scope. It is a superbly accurate rifle which each year prior to deer season shoots sub 1/4" groups(3 shots) at 100 yds. It's the most accurate centerfire rifle I've ever owned.
Keith Lay
VBull

Post by VBull »

I've been shooting a 6.5x55 in model 70 for the last 30 years. Superbly accurate and easy on recoil. The only negative I've found is case stretching. I have to trim after 2 firings. Like Keith, mine regularly shoots under 1/2 moa with 140 gr, Sierras.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Frank,

Good to hear from you, my 36 year old Model 70 fwt in 6.5x55 has killed a lot of deer. My oldest daughter has it now, and she regularly gets her deer with it.

In a modern action such as the Winchester or my Tika the 6.5x55 only takes a back seat to the barrel eater 6.5x284.

Screw the Creedmoor, tongue in cheek, the Swedish round does it better and was here first.

PS I shot with Dennis DeMile at camp Perry in 1993 for 3 days and his buddy Clint Harbeck, both were just young Sergeants then.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Kenny, as you probably know but some readers here may not, Dennis Demille and a Hornady guy were the ones who developed the 6.5 CM from a 30TC case. Agree with you on the Swedish.
Keith Lay
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

If Glen wants a true 'long range' rifle he should go with a 7mm. Better bullets for long range. Even the 7mm-08 would be superior to the 6.5mm's discussed, IMHO. Then there is the 284Win and 280Rem. For serious long-range work you can't beat the extra weight of a 7mm or 30cal for cheating the wind.
Forgot to mention that my last two hunting rifles were Rem 700 CDMs in 260Rem and 7mm-08. Both were easy sub-moa with Hornady's top hunting ammo. As I hunt infrequently I usually buy a new rifle when I go. Great excuse for another rifle.
Glenn
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I agree that for an ultra long range rifle a BIG 7mm bullet is ballistically superior . I have a 7mm-08 Weatherby and it's a VERY accurate gun..but it's too light and the barrel starts walking rounds when it's hot.
I thought about having a heavier barrel with a faster twist screwed on but my gunsmith , at the time, told me that the Mirouku barrels and actions are really put together and I'd be better off getting a Remington 700.

The Daniel Defense Delta 5 solves all those problems in 6mm or 6.5 creedmoor that I can change barrels on myself.

BTW fellows, Midway has brass in the above mentioned cal's right now.