Daniel Defense delta 5

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcr shooter

Re: Daniel Defense delta 5

Post by bpcr shooter »

bobw wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:13 pm
bpcr shooter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am Personally I would take the 260rem over the 6.5CM any day, and for long range projectile.

Matt
Explain your rational on that if you would, no criticism intended want hear your thoughts on that
bobw
Well for one thing, its not a 6.5CM! If your buying factory......the 260 may not have the twist to shoot the bigger bullets but, if your going custom its no big deal The 260 has basically the same barrel life and it has a few more FPS, its a cartridge that has stood the test of time even though its been over shadowed by the 6.5CM. Im not saying the CM is a bad round......its not it does do well, but I believe if your going to only get "X" amount of rounds down a barrel and you can get the same amount but faster FPS out of a different cartridge, why not? The 6.5-55 is another great round with even better case life ad it too has been overshadowed by the CM, even the Swiss knew this was a great caliber a century ago, it will have even better case life as it has a little less powder. In the end it really depends on what you want Speed, barrel life, availability, etc. I dont think you will beat every CM out there just because you shoot a 260, but I do think you can stand out from the crowd, and try!!!

The 260Rem at this point may be more "available" as there are not as many shooters shooting that round.

the 6.5-284 and the straight 284 both are very capable rounds at the 1k line as well, just as the .308. The Palma shooters have been running the little 155gr bullets out of those for years with very good success. the 7mm-08 is another great round for young and old a like, gophers to elk have been taken with that round and it too has long rage capability, there are Dozens of bullet choices to choose from as well in the 7mm class.

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Orville

Post by Orville »

I’ve played with the 6.5 CM, 6.5 grendel , like the 264 mag, but lately I have been playing with the 224 Valkyrie they say it’s nipping at the heels of the 6.5 CM, I wouldn’t say it’s the next big game rifle but for something fun to shoot and comfortable it’s hard to beat, I can watch the bullet hit the target through the scope. I have 7 in twist and just got a 6.5 twist, with the 7 inch twist I put 3 round in an 1.5 inch group at 400 yards 77 grain bullet. I have a moss berg chambered in it and had a CZ 527 rebarreled nothing needs to be done to the bolt or the magazine. I had a second CZ grendel here in Az just had it rebarreled with a Kieger barrel 6.5 twist, the 95 grain Sierra groups real well at 100 yards, 60 grain bullets group good but not 55 grain they may not eave hit the target at 100 yards. All of my rifles are bolt guns not AR styled rifles.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Matt like I said before , I want hear your rational but I disagree the Creeds neck angle gives it longer throat life than the 260 . Any case capacity advantage the 260 has is lost as long as it is in a 2.82" short action. Seating long high bc bullets way into the case capacity to get it to fit in a short action magazine is not an advantage. Out to 400 yds with 120-130 gr bullets either will work fine. Not now but in the last year I've seen Creed ammo for $15 to 22 bucks a box with real good availability. The 260 ammo on the other hand is spotty to find and $29 -34 a box. Getting down to brass tacks you will find it damned hard to find a 260 with anything tighter than 1 in 9 twist. Now if you already have a hunting rifle you like in 260 that shoots good hey stay with it till the barrel is a goner. They are a good cartridge but the creed is better. I have a 260, a 6.5 C, 6.5x55 and a 264 so I have burnt powder in all 4. Only way you make the 260 as good as a Creed is with a 3.1" magazine and a new barrel with 1 and 8 or better twist
Just my own thoughts. Bobw
bobw
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

The 260 will run right along with the 6.5 out to about 700-800yd but past that the 260 has the edge, as it started out faster. the 6.5Cm barrel life for match use is around 2200-2500 the 260rem is 2000- 2300, hunting life is 3k or so, for both. So you pretty much in the same category for barrel life. Yes if your just going to buy a off the shelf rifle......buy a 6.5CM. If your going to build a rifle, I would still do a 260rem. If your not going to reload for it.....buy a 6.5CM. it is very possible to get a 130gr up to the 3100fps range, and that puts you supersonic out to 1300-1350yd if not a tick more, but your going to have to reload, your going to have to build a rifle. Recoil wise they will both be close, again if you build, just put a heavier tube on it. I looked up some discussions on another forum that I'm on, https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... d.6372730/

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... creedmoor/

Like I said before the 6.5CM is not a bad round but I feel there was a little left on the table and the 260rem has it, and has had it for a very long time. Yes it will cost more to shoot (brass wise, and little more powder) a 260rem but, at least you ain't shooting a 6.5CM.

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
drcook

Post by drcook »

I just saw this thread, and usually I try and respect the Shiloh forum to period correct type discussion, but I have to throw out the 6.5 PRC. I will be starting load development soon.

I sort of lost everyone to shoot BP with, places are too far away, so I have switched over that passing fad. We can go shoot 1000 yards a little over 45 minutes away, and 2 hours away is Thunder Valley, with a 1 mile target. My buddy's 6.5 CM dings a 18x18 in target at a mile over and over. I should be able to do that just as easily with the 6.5 PRC. I also acquired a .300 PRC.

As far as accuracy goes, I am tuning in a 6.5 Grendel for my wife. It is an bolt gun from uintahprecision.com. The initial bore sight (just looking down the barrel at the red dot on my barn door/100 yards) was a little over 8" low and 4 or 5" left at 100 yards. I dialed the corrections in and hit the center dot at 100 yards, the next one did a 2 shot group you could cover with a thumb nail. Since the gun responded to the scope corrections and put another in the same spot, I figured it good enough. I was a little cold after helping a friend zero his to get a good 200 yard group.
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

That's very cool! What bullet and twist in your rifle ??
Most folks on here shoot different things and after this summer is over, I want to try precision rifle.
Please post your progress so I can learn what to do on a purchase of rifle and components.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I love my .284 Winchester with 140 grain Nosler bullets. The trick is to get the bullets used to seat at the case neck/body junction so you can access the full (near 30-06)case capacity. This usually requires a full length action but not always.
I built my self a sheep rifle some 25 years ago using a short Ruger 77 action. I elongated the magazine well .250 in the action bottom on the milling machine , cut the magazine in half and welded in two lengthening splices so I would have magazine long enough to seat the bullets to the bottom of the case neck and the action would feed the full length round. It worked out beautifully and the gun has taken a moose and some Black tails on Kodiak.
It has a medium wt Douglas barrel and will hold three shots in a minute at 100 yards with the 140 grain Nosler partition.
I have my favorite hunting scope and power on it, 2 x 7 Leopold with duplex radical.
I stocked it in synthetic then checkered the smooth exterior.
I don't use it any more since I made the 280-338 on a Mauser 98 action that was worked over. That gun and cartridge is the best big game combination I ever saw.
drcook

Post by drcook »

Hornady took that concept of bullets seated out in their design of the .300 PRC, the 6.5 PRC and the attendant chambers. Long heavy bullets, seated far out.

The .300 PRC has equal to, and in some cases better ballistics than the .338 Lapua at half the cost of shooting.
Most folks on here shoot different things and after this summer is over, I want to try precision rifle.
Take a look at the Ruger Precision Rifles. They are an awful lot of gun for the money. Right now is not a good time to buy, prices are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than last year. The .300 PRC RPR's are selling at MSRP, IF you can find one.

There are plenty of .308 RPR's around. Pick up a used one, get an aftermarket 24" barrel, and you can get out to a 1000 yards with it easily. From the factory they come with 20" barrels. The extra 4" gives the .308 a bit more useful range. Sort of like going from a 40-65 to a one of the 40-82 cartridges.

Instead of petering out around the 800 yard mark (now really working it you can get to 1000), 1000 is attainable.

I like Sightron SIII scopes. They are a lot of scope for the money. Yes they are a little outdated compared to some of the newer ones, but they are modernizing them. They now have tactical turrets available and zero stops (But I have found that one or more appropriately sized O-rings work fine and cost only a couple bucks if that). They have a range of reticles available.

I like the MOA-2 and MOA-H reticles. It is easier for me to figure MOA differences rather than Mils due to starting in the BPCR world and then going to smokeless. Also I did machinist/tool and die work when I was younger and I think in angular (MOA) due to all the math I had to do back then.
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I looked at some data on the 300 PRC...very impressive round. Being a 30 cal, barrels should last forever and in a heavy rifle, the recoil would be tamed.

Ranging and shooting targets at unknown distances out to 1200 meters would be VERY challenging to me...until I could figure out a dependable way to range with a good, mil dot scope.
I like the concept of the sport. A little tactical thrown in with old fashioned wind reading.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.