Daniel Defense delta 5

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Daniel Defense delta 5

Post by Glen Ring »

Have any of you had any experience with the Daniel Defense Delta 5?
Looks like a LOT of rifle for the money and the ability for the owner to change out barrels is really cool.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Andre

Re: Daniel Defense delta 5

Post by Andre »

they come in 45-70?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I bet they could make you one in 45-70..but most will be in 308, 6.5 creedmore and 6mm creedmore.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Do they shoot pyrodex in them?

K W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

KW: now that was funny!
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Pyrodex shoots well in anything
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

would be nice if they made it in a long or mag action, although there are quite a few cases based off the 308. Maybe more to come??
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think the longer rounds will be coming soon. As much as I'd like to have a good 30 cal bolt gun that shoots over 200 grain bullets well...I think the 6.5 or 6mm is all I need. I have a shooting bud that has a 6.5 creedmore and at 500 meters he can hit VERY small targets. Some of the western Oklahoma shoots go out a few hundred yards farther..but most of my hunting and plinking will be much closer. If my grandson wants to shoot we will probably be re barreling every year with the 6mm creedmoore...so being able to do that ourselves is a big draw.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have a 6mm/284 I had given to me on a 98 Mauser action and I'm wondering how many rounds of accuracy I can expect from it. The throat looks new at this point(bore scope) but I bet by around 2000 rounds it will be quite eroded. I've heard the F-class boys tell me the 6.5/284 is a real performer but is pretty well shot out at 1500 rounds which seems unlikely to me but perhaps is true.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Pulled up the first video on testing the gun with 175 grain factory Federal "I think" ammo to 937 yards. Once he got the wind doped he could stay on a steel gong something like 14x24 inches with close to a minute-minute and a half group and repeated hits. Caliber was .308 Hammer forged barrel that looked about 20 inches long. The gun seemed to do about as well suppressed as not which I thought was quite remarkable. I liked the quick change nut system for fast barrel change. Head space it set at barrel change and does not need adjusted with this set up.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

glen,
it is surprising that you, as a black powder shooter, have not heard about the creedmoor range and the history that goes with it in international long range shooting, the style which continued until 1912.
the range was purchased from farmer creed, hence creed in creedmoor.
the land was described as being poor and as such a moor, hence the moor in creedmoor.
some of us have great respect for the pioneers who shot there and other ranges like seagirt.
now that you have this information, you too can spell creedmoor correctly, and also educate others who have yet to learn.
or you just don't care.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Well thank you for pointing that out Bruce. I have read the story and it appears I misspell that word often. I get affect/effect wrong sometimes also. I have shot many disciplines , competed in many sports and I guess get careless in not doing research into the beginning of a sport like Skeet, trap, etc.. I just want to shoot as many guns, bows, atlatls and other weapons as much as possible before I die.When I do get absorbed in a pursuit, I never want to seem presumptuous to anyone else by " educating' someone ..unless they ask of course. I assume you have no experience with the delta 5 to pass on information that might be helpful to me before a invest a couple of thousand dollars into a new rifle.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Someone suggested I break this thing out of the safe again.
Hadn't used it in a while (years)
I shoot from a well in section 16, into a well in section 9
512 yrds
Factory ammo
Wind was a challenge, I managed to cope
Someone suggested I put it back now

ImageREM SENDERO 22-250 by Brian Hickey, on Flickr

Image12 22 20 512YD SENDERO 22-250 by Brian Hickey, on Flickr
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

They are good rifles I think. The 22-250 with a faster twist might be the ultimate long range rifle for most folks. The 22-250 has more case capacity than the 224 valkyrie and with a faster twist the very heavy for 22 bullets would be fun at the longer ranges.
We can use a 22 center fire for deer here in Oklahoma, but some states won't allow it I guess.
One of the first things I had to understand was barrel length vs accuracy and velocity in standard calibers..especially the 22 lr.
I LOVE the Remington 700 action..but with the ability to change barrels myself on the delta 5 is a very attractive feature. .
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Personally I would take the 260rem over the 6.5CM any day, and for long range eith a 7mm class cartridge or 30cal cartridge. Once you get above the .308 size bullets, the price per projectile goes up quickly as does the amount of powder to propel that projectile. Some of these guys he in Wi shooting the 1200 are using cartridges that are $6-11 a squeeze reloaded!! But its what their passion is, just like our here is BP and the thousands we spend on all the different molds, lubes, etc.

The 6.5-284 should run out of 1000-1200yd accuracy around the 1200-1300 round mark, now if your being super nice to it maybe a few more, its a VERY good 1k yard cartridge. It all depends on the powder used as you know and what material the barrel was made from.

For a young shooter the .223, IF made well will do just fine out to 5-600yd. Just get a good tube, action and stock. I work with a couple world champion Palma shooters and they shoot them to 600yd using the SMK 77gr, varget, Rem primers an Win brass with no problems. My AR will "ting" the rams all day and it nothing special just took a bit to find the load it really liked, windy days do play with the bullet but, I look at it as a teaching day and just learn more about wind. FYI there is a program called the "Appleseed program" that is tailored to young shooters, not sure if its available in your area but we have quite a few new young ones around here shooting in it.
https://appleseedinfo.org/

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member