Sexy Cartridges ???? Seriously !!!!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Sexy Cartridges ???? Seriously !!!!

Post by semtav »

Kurt wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 am How about the lonely .38-56 Winchester ?

And the 348 !!!!
So many beauties, so little time ( and money)
semtav

Post by semtav »

Kurt wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 am I think this will be a long and interesting winter. :lol: :lol:
Which brings up a whole different subject.
I just don't understand how people like Desert Deuce can stand living in a monoclimate.
I have way less ambition with this 40-50deg winter than I would if it was ten below and a foot of snow.
Humans need seasonal changes !!
PacRATT

Post by PacRATT »

It has been a very mild winter in Manitoba. I’d love to do more load work on the 44-77 but my club range is limited to 5 members at a time,out of 1300 members, because of covid-19. :(

Shadow4- All the planned matches I had for 2020 just went to sh*t because of covid. I’m hoping to make that up this year and I’d love to sign Savannah x-sticks again.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

I do feel bad for Mr. Deuce living where every day is the same year in and year out. Without winter to toughen the soul he may just foldup if ever faced with hard times, yea I worry for him!

This morning I awoke to more fresh snow and beautiful sunshine with temps in the 30s. Heck I was outside clearing snow in just a sweatshirt and jeans! Now I'm sitting on the cleared patio having a cup of coffee and taking in some rays! What a beautiful morning it is!

I hope Deuce is ok this morning!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

bruce m wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:30 am can we also mention nubile cartridges here as well, or would that require a new thread.
nubility is also in the eye of the beholder.
bruce.
Oh my :shock:

That will definitely require a new thread, give us more than one place to go don't you know :wink:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Distant Thunder wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:31 am I do feel bad for Mr. Deuce living where every day is the same year in and year out. Without winter to toughen the soul he may just foldup if ever faced with hard times, yea I worry for him!

This morning I awoke to more fresh snow and beautiful sunshine with temps in the 30s. Heck I was outside clearing snow in just a sweatshirt and jeans! Now I'm sitting on the cleared patio having a cup of coffee and taking in some rays! What a beautiful morning it is!

I hope Deuce is ok this morning!
I also feel bad for Mr. Deuce, I know not how he's managed to last as long as he has, must be absolutely horrible, those conditions.

34* this morning, no snow, no 80mph winds this morning, gonna be a goo day tater.

We've surely got to come up with a way to toughen that Deuce feller up he'll never survive when he comes up.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

I find whiskey helps me cope with winter, and summer, and fall and even spring for that matter, but especially winter. I would recommend that The Deuce take two shots and call us in the morning! But then, I'm not a Doctor and I'm just saying it works for me!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Woody

Post by Woody »

Jim,

I've been hanging around Doctors for over a month now and can attest to the medical uses of good Whiskey or Whisky, (depending if you are Canadian, Irish, Scottish, or American. It's all good, some more so, but still all good.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Williamsmattc

Post by Williamsmattc »

semtav wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:06 am
Distant Thunder wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm It is my opinion that the .44-77, especially when loaded with a paper patch bullets, is the sexiest cartridge of the time! Some may not share that opinion and for those shooters there are many other less interesting cartridges available. :D
I had to laugh at that statement cause I find myself doing the same thing. Buying guns based on the mental image of the cartridge.
It appears the Old bottlenecks are sexy but the new ones aren't.

Just wondering what cartridges others like to shoot cause they are " sexy"

Mine:
218 Bee and 25-20,
219 Zipper
300 H&H
40-50 SBN

first time I saw a 40-50 SBN at a gunshow I knew I had to have one someday !!
I must agree with the .300 Holland & Holland! What a beautiful classy round. I love mine and everyone who sees the cartridges is drawn to it. A case of firm following function. Designed with taper the full length of the case for easy chambering and extraction. Exactly what you want when the critter you are hunting may take you out if you can’t chamber or extract a round!

My Model 70 (1956) chambers so smoothly I keep opening the bolt to make sure it picked up a round! Always does...
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

not sexy, but very nubile, is the 9.3x64 brenneke.
in the past i had use for a 375 h&h for certain hunting applications, and it did well.
however john taylor wrote that the 9.3x64 was equal to it so enquiring minds and all that took over.
a mkx mauser action, a lothar walther prechambered barrel, and a home made stock later i had one.
first use of it was disappointing with nosler partitions.
however swift aframes solved that one.
i will never forget the first use of them on camels.
i was shooting with a guy using a 375, and shot for shot no difference could be seen.
the bang flop effect was visible in the scope before recoil.
the cartridge itself just looks like a fatter 30/06, and in fact fits in a 30/06 length action.
some complain about the cost of swift projectiles, but they are so superior terminally that they are cheaper.
bruce.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

bruce m wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:30 am can we also mention nubile cartridges here as well, or would that require a new thread.
nubility is also in the eye of the beholder.
bruce.
Well, since one of thee, "Thunda From Down Unda", or is that J.B.? or Gary?, invented a new word, "nubility", ...............is it like nobility, except, dare I say..............."SEXIER" :wink:

See what I did there?
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I like the looks of them long and skinny. My choices are the 40/70 SS and the 45/100. They are not my 1st choice for shooting though.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i have always been interested in the differences between american and british long range target shooting.
this leaves a big gap in the british side of things where i stand.
what would fill this gap would be a gibbs/metford/farquarson long range rifle in 461 gibbs.
i have seen original 461 gibbs rounds with both the long range and short range bullets, and they don't look too bad at all.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Which one? No.1 of no.2? No.2 Musket was also pretty popular, besides some others. But the majority were BN's.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

And as to Brit rifles, there's WR Deeley & Edge, Webley-Wyley, Fraser, Field, Soper,...