.50-110 to .44-77 viability

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Shadow 4

Re: .50-110 to .44-77 viability

Post by Shadow 4 »

PacRATT wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:42 pm I have 7 loaded that I’ll fire form tomorrow.
“ What could go wrong”
Oh Roger, let me count the ways................... :lol:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
bobw

Post by bobw »

Make sure you get whatever amount of brass with the correct rim thickness you need for your rifle. I have brass with a .067" thickness and brass with rim thickness of .080" so know which you need before you buy. bob
bobw
PacRATT

Post by PacRATT »

It was a perfect day for fire forming cases. -32 C, wind chill -43 C (-26 F---44 F) All 7 of the 348W to 44X77BN went “Bang”. One big hole in an aggressive snow bank at 100 Yds.
I like black powder smoke is making me a bit “CRAZY”.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

PacRATT,

I fully understand the need to experiment and make stuff. I used .338 Winchester Magnum brass to convert to .44-77 and that made pretty nice brass, but in the end, after converting 50 pcs, I decided it just made sense to buy BACO's all ready converted .50-110s. They are very uniform, good quality and are and only $1.54 a piece if you buy 100 or more. You would have to wait until they are in stock, but they usually aren't out of stock for long, just don't delay when they are available. I paid $1.36 a piece for the .338 brass and I just couldn't see doing all that work converting for the $0.18 price difference.

It was fun doing it and I learned that I could always make brass my my .44-77 if for some reason it was not available. I did this experiment before having my rifle rebarreled to .44-77.
300 Win Mag cases-2.jpg
44-77 Brass-2.jpg
The rims will be a bit small in diameter on the BACO .50-110 converted and the two .45 caliber cases converted, but all functioned fine in two different Shiloh rifles. The .45 brass are the least amount of work. The bottom line is, if you want a .44-77 you can get or make brass that will work so go for it.

Converting any brass from one cartridge to anther can be hazardous if not done properly, with care and forethought. It's not for everyone. I did these cases just to prove it could be done. If you choose to convert cases to a rifle they were not designed for you do so at your own risk. I advise against it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

On that BACO reformed brass don't wait until it shows in stock, order it now. The sooner they get enough orders to make a run of it the sooner they'll have it available. Assuming they can get the 50-110 brass on hand..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Distant Thunder

That is a good point, Don, they do move more quickly when they have orders in hand! And again they make excellent .44-77 brass.

Another note on the .44-77, and I assume other BN bp cases too, the rim thickness isn't as critical as you might think as long as it chambers. The case will head space off the shoulder once properly fireformed and the rim then only needs to work for extraction. If the rim is too thin you can load grease groove bullets to push into the rifling hard and the shoulder should expand to provide proper head spacing after that if you don't full length size and push the should back, which would be bad.

Don't let brass availability make you avoid a .44-77 if you really want one, you'll just be missing out on what I have found to be one of the better and more interesting Sharps cartridges. The accuracy potential is as good as any.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If the rim thickness is to thin, then if you get it to fire form, after that it becomes like loading 99% of modern centerfire, the case headspace's off the shoulder.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Does there seem to be a certain level of masochistic devotion associated with engaging the 44-77 Cartridge?
Seems like otherwise somewhat normal folks have been infected/afflicted?
Perhaps a contagious virus akin to symptomatic flagellation americanus manifesting itself in a desire to engage said cartridge ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Distant Thunder

Well, DD, we can't all be engaged in shooting BPCR for fame and fortune like you! :lol: And what you do in the privacy of your own loading room I don't even want to know! :shock:
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
PacRATT

Post by PacRATT »

desert deuce-“ masochistic devotion” is about right. But what is one to do on cold Manitoba nights?
Don, I’m on BACO list for 44X77 brass. Getting it north of the Medicine line is the problem.
Jim, I’ll take playing with the mini-lathe and loading stiff over bad TV any time.
I just did another 25 348 Win. cases, the cases cost me very little, and I’m using up let over bullets
and powder. I’m going to try 300/338 brass next, I have 60 pieces of range brass.
Thanks for your posts
Roger
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Looks like DT has validated my observations. :D

Manitoba...........Winter...........can practically forgive you anything.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Zac D

Post by Zac D »

Luke wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:15 pm If you really want a .44-77, then go ahead and get it and be damned to the rest.

Howsumever: If you think you want a historical Buffalo gun, in an historical Buffalo caliber, and you don't want a 45-70 because you want something different and not so common, You could save yourself a lot of time, money, and have a lot of fun, with the old .50-70. Probably killed more big shaggys than any other caliber.

But, as has been said, get what you want, and the folks here will provide all the help you need. Just make sure what you want is really what you want! :wink: I'm just another equine with an opinion.

What kind of shooting do you see yourself doing with this rifle?
Sorry gents, just now seeing the new replies to this post. I had all but decided to go with a .45-70 as I’m already set up to load for it and have done some paper patching but y’all making me rethink things dammit! As far as the purpose I want a rifle flexible enough to be a good hunter with the possibility of silhouette comps in the future. The .50-70 is definitely another “I just think it would be cool” caliber but I understand it to be lacking in the range department for silhouette correct? I know one or two folks have stretched its range I’d just hate to paint myself into a corner with it.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

While making this you talk about the 50-100 brass. Is this the winchester case or the sharps case which is about 60 tho bigger at the base?
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Dean BACO uses the 50-110 brass. Much the same process as they used when processing 348.
PacRATT

Post by PacRATT »

I took the 18 44X77BN formed from .348 Win. (1.85" long) that i had fire formed and reloaded to the range today.
All 18 shoots into a 5" x 6" grp. at 100 ydrs. off the bench.
This is a lot better than i was expecting. :shock: :D