Removing breech from 1877?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Removing breech from 1877?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents

Never taken a Sharps breech block out before.

I THINK you go to half cock, lower the lever, rotate the take down pin/lever out of its descent then with a twisting motion pull it out.

Now have my 1877 and trying to do the same thing but do not want to bugger anything up.

The 1877 does not utilize the lever pin, the pin has a slotted screw head. I’ve dropped the lever, unscrewed the pin but it will not easily pull out. Feels like there is considerable pressure on it from the lever spring. I suppose you just tap it out from the other side but do not want to move forward till I hear from 1877 owners who have done it. I tried to put pressure on the lever in various directions to relieve the pressure but nothing seems to make a difference.

How about the reinstall against the same spring pressure? How do you start the pin without buggering it up?

What say you Sharps mechanics? I imagine the process is no different between the 74 and 77?

Thanks

Wade
PhilRich

Re: Removing breech from 1877?

Post by PhilRich »

On my C Sharps 1877 removing the screw that replaces the lever works identically. It might be easier to remove the forearm and relieve the lever spring pressure. Putting the breach block back in is the same as for the 1874 except for replacing the screw.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

My Shilohs seem to have less pressure on the lever with it in the closed position. That's where I position mine to pull the takedown pin. Think about and the original percussion guns were designed for field maintenance to keep them in action with a minimum of tools. You should not have to remove the forend to remove the breech block. I've not taken my 77 down but I expect the pin has just been replaced with the screw. The procedure should be the same.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

i always reduce the spring tension first makes life easy art
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Art

Again, saying I’ve never done this before, are you saying you remove the fore end to reduce the tension on the spring?

Question for All:

1. How often do you remove and clean the breech block? Every time you shoot, once every so many sessions, or only when you start to feel it gumming up?

2. If you don’t remove it every time do you give it a little squirt of ballistiol or the like along the edges?

Not excited about having to remove the forearm and listening the spring every time. Seems like a way to listen things up and bugger up screws.

Wade
Woody

Post by Woody »

I have a Shiloh 77. You can lower the breech block and remove the screw the connects the link to the block. The block can then be removed through the top. Reverse to re-assemble. A little tricky to align the link in the block, but a little practice is all it takes. The lever, forearm and lever spring all remain untouched.

Woody

I only remove after several range sessions. About three times a year. Oil on the block can not seep into the wood or lock on a sharps.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Woody,

Sound like a plan. I’ll go with that one!

Wade
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Woody has it right!!!