Newbie to Sharps need some guidance on the Big 50...

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bryany

Re: Newbie to Sharps need some guidance on the Big 50...

Post by bryany »

faster twist for longer (heavier) bullets, slower twist for shorter bullets.

With a 50-90, I'd think about going with the faster twist. Even at the closer ranges it will be impressive.

Stick with the standard Shiloh chamber, it will shoot grease groove and paper patch well.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

My 50-70 is 36 twist for the 450 ish gr. rounds and my 50-90 is 26 twist works good for the 500 gr. and up rounds. The Shiloh 22 twist works great for the 500 gr. and up rounds also. Again I'd recommend the standard chamber. Works well for both patched and grooved rounds.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I have a 50-90 Remington Rolling block rifle on an original action that Dave Higginbotham of Lonestar Rifles built into a fine rifle with [attachment=0]2932011_orig.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]2932011_orig.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]2932011_orig.jpg[/attachment]a steel shotgun butt plate, 1/26 twist Green Mountain 1 1/8 diameter straight octagon 28 inch barrel. I shoot a 550 grain flat nose Paul Jones bullet. It has taken Bison and Elk out to 250 yards.The rifle weighs 10.5 pounds.download/file.php?mode=view&id=3470 Black walnut wood from Treebone carving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lahti35

Post by lahti35 »

pacecars wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 am My .50-90 is a Business Rifle with a heavy tapered 30” round barrel, steel shotgun butt plate, semi fancy wood with pewter forend tip. I got it for hunting and use the barrel sights. It currently has a full buckhorn rear but I am thinking about changing it out for a Lawrence sight. The front is an original style made by Stephen Borud. It has a standard chamber and a 1:22 twist so it likes the heavier bullets. The standard chamber shoots PPB just fine. The kick is not too obnoxious to sight in and practice for hunting. I don’t think it would be a lot of fun for competition with a lot of shots fired. Mine weighs about 11 lbs I think. I weighed it and it is probably posted on here somewhere. There is a post with a video of shooting it with a 670 gr PPB over 100 grs FFg on here also. I am still learning but it is a blast to shoot! If you are in 24hourcampfire get up with Gunner500, he has been a lot of help
I think I've seen that video on youtube with maybe yourself sitting at a bench shooting a straight stock business rifle? How is the torque when you touch it off?

Sound like fun!
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

That would be the one. It is not bad at all. If I were going to shoot it a lot as a target gun I would definitely want a pistol grip and a little more weight
Real gun powder is black.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I have two 50-90's. One a buffalo rifle with a 30" bull barrel. The recoil is like a 45-70. The other is a Hartford style 34" barrel about 12.5 lbs and you will notice recoil over 100 grains. But that's what a recoil pad is for. Recoil is noticeable but manageable. I have shot a buffalo with each. The case hardened steel butt plate is classy and looks great. Read Zane Grey's "Buffalo Stampede" while you're waiting for your "Big Fifty". As far as style - Sharps built buffalo rifles and target rifles. They are two different styles with two different purposes. I also suggest reading the above mentioned books on Sharps rifles to help you get the look you want. If you are only getting one then do some research and get it the way you want it. Looking on auction websites at past auctions for original Sharps rifles will help you too and that's free. Rock Island and Murphy's have links to past auctions.
The last picture is the NRA Big Fifty in their museum. The other two are mine.
Shiloh Sharps .50-90 s (2).JPG
50-90 BB w Sporter Tang (5) s.JPG
NRA SHARPS BIG 50 (800x351).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lahti35

Post by lahti35 »

Thanks guys, great info!

I've definitely had a rethink on a few things and have changed a few options... The goal is to settle on the gun before i order so I don't have to change things later... One never knows though!