Annealer

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: Annealer

Post by bruce m »

the annealing machines that have cases lying on their side have 1 problem.
if you are using tempilaq, you apply a strip down the side of the case.
sometimes the strip is thick enough to stop the case rotating, and it overheats one side of the case with devastating results.
the machines where the case stands up do not have this problem.
when setting up for a run you can use 2 different temperature tempilaqs.
one on the body, and one on the base.
the one on the base is for a lower temperature to indicate that absolutely no annealing is happening there.
this can increase the probability of the case not turning.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Luke

Post by Luke »

Went ahead and ordered the Annealeez, we'll see how it works with .50-70 brass. (short magnum wheels)

It's a bit of a chuckle to me to think of the things I'm doing with and to a round designed in 1866.

You can use circumferential rings of tempilac to get around that.
Limber Up!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Luke wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:30 pm Went ahead and ordered the Annealeez, we'll see how it works with .50-70 brass. (short magnum wheels)
It's a bit of a chuckle to me to think of the things I'm doing with and to a round designed in 1866.
You can use circumferential rings of tempilac to get around that.
I only used Tempilaq when 1st determining how long to leave the case in the flame assuming your annealer has an adjustable timer. And I found it worked better to put the tempilaq inside the case neck so it isn't in the direct flame. It's only necessary to use it for 2 or 3 cases. When annealing the same cases again there's no need for tempilaq.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

wayne,
the timing thing is absolutely true, as long as your gas pressure and hence flame intensity is guaranteed the same.
it is good to have a machine adjustable for both.
you are also right about putting tempilaq on the outside of the neck where the flame goes, as then all you are measuring is the flame temperature.
benchsource suggest a temp lower down the case that is lower than on the neck to aim for to give the correct temp on the neck.
this is where i put my tempilaq for that temp .
from memory it might be about 50 degrees cooler that what you want on the neck.
this has worked well for both smokeless and black powder cases.
with black powder cases i melt the tempilaq a little further down the case, as i want them just a little softer.
bruce,
ventum est amicus meus
Luke

Post by Luke »

The current version uses a programmable digital timer, so that is not a concern. My shop propane is in 20# bottles, flame intensity should remain constant.
Limber Up!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Been hot sand annealing for the last 10 years, have learned what the cases should look like, this will be faster, more precise, and yet still appeal to my frugal (cheap) nature.
Limber Up!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Got the thing last week. Easy to set up and use. In roughly 2 hours of use have annealed all my 47-70, 50-70, 30-40 Krag, 43 Spanish and some Starline 45 Colt (The last just to see if I could. Yep) I did not keep count, but I'd say around 1000 pieces of brass went thru it. Ran off a 20 lb camper bottle setting on the floor, unit on the loading bench. Doubt I used a pound of gas. Dang thing worked itself out of a job for now. Ran everything using the Short Magnum wheel set.

I think its a great deal myself.
Limber Up!