A Dr R.L. Moore story I heard today

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tasmanian Rebel

A Dr R.L. Moore story I heard today

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Some of you probably know about Dr. Moore but some of the newer readers may not. Dr. R.L. Moore from Philadelphia MS used to have one of the most extensive collections if not THE most extensive collections of Sharps rifles in the world. If you look at the Sellers book you'll see many of Dr. Moore's guns. Philadelphia is about 60 miles north of my home here in Bay Springs. For years our hospital administrator here in town lived in Philadelphia and made the daily commute to the hospital here. We would eat lunch together often at the hospital. He told me he went to church with Dr. Moore and had the fortune of seeing his collection once. He said walking into his gunroom was like walking into a walk-in safe the size of a large master bedroom. He had original sharps lining all four walls and had some in center rows in center along with Jefferson Davis's, the president of the confederacy, personal engraved sidearms.
My wife was at an estate sale in Meridian today and struck up a conversation with an antique dealer from Philadelphia. Somehow Marsha mentioned to him about me shooting Sharps rifles and he told her the story of Dr. Moore working busily in his clinic one day. The nurse comes back and tells the Dr. someone's on the phone and wants to talk but it's not a patient. Moore tells her he's busy and can't be disturbed. A few days later he calls again and Dr. Moore talks to him and the caller is interested in seeing his rifles. Supposidly Dr. Moore rather grumpily replied he's welcome to come see them but they're not for sale. The antique dealer said "a few days later non other than Bocephus shows up at his house." Hank Williams Jr sees two rifles he wants to buy and after a brief conversation Dr. Moore again grumpily says "I don't care if your father is Hank Williams the guns are not for sale" or words to the effect. No sale was made.
Some time ago Dr. Moore died and his guns sold for millions(Southby's?). I've heard the figure 6 million but certainly don't know the clear amount. He even owned all of Sharps records and if someone wanted a factory letter they contacted Dr. Moore. If MLV sees this he may could give some insight on this story as I know he's a friend of Hank's.
Keith Lay
bobw

Re: A Dr R.L. Moore story I heard today

Post by bobw »

Dr Moore had the ownership of factory records for years they are now in the hands of Dr Labowski who will letter an original Sharps in the original Sharps records , there are some gaps in those records ( order ledgers). Need to get a letter for a 74 Business 45 myself. Hope you are in good health and covid 19 free. Bobw
bobw
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Thanks Bob. Getting stronger every day. This past weekend walked 3-4 miles over hilly terrain and climbing trees with a 25 lb pack and carrying a rifle without difficulty. Three months ago after getting home from the hospital I would have laughed if someone would say I would be able to do this. I haven't gotten a covid vaccine yet because my antibody level is off the charts still. Plan to monitor monthly and will vaccinate if levels start falling.
Keith Lay
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Climbing Trees!!! :shock:
MLV

Post by MLV »

I can’t comment on the Dr. Moore story but I do know that currently Hank is selling ofF his original Sharps or at least some of them.
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Dr. Moore called me one day after a request for a letter on a Fort Griffen 16lb'r in my possession and he was insensed at my description of how well it shot. He offered to trade several "shooters" as he had the bug for western guns (therefore trades were Ok).

Charles
Rum River

Post by Rum River »

A couple of years back I was working at a gun shop in central Minnesota. Hank was in the area and our store was recommended as a stopping point. The manager, her husband and I got to visit with him for a couple of hours pretty much uninterrupted. Yes, he was happy to pose for a photo. A month or so later he was in the area again and made a point of returning. That time we had quite a number of customers present. There was a boy of roughly 12 who with his Dad had just been down in the range sighting in his 22. When speaking to Hank, the Dad encouraged his son to show Hank his target. Hank engaged that young man in conversation for a good 5-10 minutes. Was fun to see, I bet the son still has the target.
"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."