Lee Shaver 22 insert

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bushwacker2

Lee Shaver 22 insert

Post by bushwacker2 »

Does anyone have instructions that came with Lee's insert that they could copy and email to me.
Distant Thunder

Re: Lee Shaver 22 insert

Post by Distant Thunder »

bushwacker2,

Are you looking for the instructions on the liner itself or the instructions that Lee put out on how to set up the long range .22 rimfire silhouettes? I have the silhouette info if that's what you want. If it's the liner info you need, why not call Lee.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bushwacker2

Post by bushwacker2 »

It's for the liner itself, a friend gave me one and I can't figure what the two brass threaded pieces on the breach end are for. I will try and call Lee but it hard to get ahold of him sometimes.
Distant Thunder

There are two threaded pieces, one should be for .40 caliber rifles and the other for .45 caliber rifles. You put the appropriate one on the threaded brass end of the liner and set up the "head space" for your chamber, so that the cartridge carrier goes up against the end of the tube and just allows you to raise your block without interference. The threaded piece goes against the chamber end stop kind of like the case mouth.

If you have the tube screwed in too far you'll have bulged .22 cases just ahead of the rim, out too far and you can't raise your block with the carrier inserted in the chamber.

What type of rifle and what caliber are you working with?
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bushwacker2

Post by bushwacker2 »

Working with a Shiloh in 45-70 or a roller in 40-65. Got the instructions from another member, thanks to you both. Had it about 90% figured out.
Distant Thunder

It's going to be difficult to go back and forth between two rifles and even more so with two calibers. If it were me I would set it up in the one with the stoutest firing pin. I had trouble in my Shiloh .45-70 with my Shaver liner, but yours may be different. Good luck!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bsnjsmith

Post by bsnjsmith »

I go between 3 rifles and two different calibers frequently. Takes about one minute to set up between calibers. Been real happy with the accuracy and its fun to shoot. I have a pencil magnet that I keep with it to assist in removing the shell holder to reload. Have fun with it!
Distant Thunder

They do shoot very well, I'll give you that. I would think, but yield to greater experience, that changing calibers would be a little time consuming. I am impressed with your speed in changing calibers! I never tried that, only shot it in .45s.

Within rifles chambered for the same caliber and with reasonably close chambers it should be just a matter of removing from one and putting it another. The only place I tried that was between my Shiloh .45-70 and my original roller in .45-70. Those two were not compatible, mostly because of the roller.

A liner that sets up on the rim is a bit easier to work with, in my opinion.

If it hadn't been for the broken firing pins in my Shiloh I would still be using it today. Maybe the upgrade Shiloh did to my rifle last year would be better in that regard, but since it's a .44 maybe not.

I have NO disagreement with the part about the FUN! I like fun.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've used mine in my Shiloh, (.40-70SS), CPA, (.45-90) and Miroku/Winchester1885, (.45-70). I had Lee make me up a shell holder for the .40-70 and the other two just use the original one. I must say that these rifles shoot very well with the liner, providing the headspace is set correctly.
Switching between .40 cal and .45cal, I've found that due the foams getting squashed down far more in the .40 and they need some time to expand before using in a .45. Going from .45 to .40 you wont have a problem.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia