Maynard Rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tom Bieri

Maynard Rifle

Post by Tom Bieri »

I recently acquired a very nice Maynard Rifle in 40-70, it has a rare wood forearm on it. The barrel is 26" long with 3 3/4" octagon the rest is round, the bore is very good with sharp rifling, it has 1873 stamped on the left side of it and 1882 stamped on the right side, the serial number is 135xx. I am not sure what model it is. If any of you could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Tom Bieri
TGC

Re: Maynard Rifle

Post by TGC »

Tom, given the information provided. I believe it is a model 1882. John Bly is the resident expert on Maynard's. More information or photos would be helpful. Tim.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

It is certainly an 1882 Model. Serial numbers mean nothing in the 1882 model as they were all made from repurchased surplus Civil War carbines. If the barrel is serial numbered to the frame it may conform to a model munber. Most 40/70 barrels had the 9" octagon and lengths were 28",30" and 32". The model 15 which came with a forend was listed with a 4" octagon barrel 26" long in 40/70 and barrels with that description were listed in the list of barrels available.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Tom Bieri

Post by Tom Bieri »

Thank you for the replies I will attempt to post a couple photos of it.