Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Post by mdeland »

Thanks Tom, I had to build one from A-2 steel a couple of months back so that part has some experience to help out . I had heard the feed troth in the bottom of the action needed to be made deeper and was asking if that was true or not. I'll figure it out eventually but any knowledge about a project is very helpful on the front end.
Last edited by mdeland on Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for the tip on the actions Clark!
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Speaking of actions. Does anyone know the particulars of the tang bolt? Am I correct in assuming it's not the modern 60* standard thread? I'm getting ready to order a '73 action in a few minutes and I could figure it out at that point, but I figure that one of you guys would know and I can add it to my notes.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

mdeland, I have a a long nose 1868 receiver that I picked up for the tang it has a broken hinge pin tab on the R/H side. The barrel hole size is the same as the 45-70 for info if you would like it I will give it to you for patterns and sizing. It is good otherwise.

Jim O
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

The '68 and '70 actions used the same extractor system as the '73. All you need to do is get a 50/70 extractor from one of the suppliers. No action modifications will be needed. The country was in a deep depression when the '73 was introduced and no changes were made that would incur additional costs. My, how things have changed.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for the help guys I have much to learn of Trapdoor Springfields.
Thanks for the offer Jim. I don't know that it would be worth your generosity and effort in helping me to figure out what I need to learn and do to pull this project off.
I'm just going to start gathering the parts and knowledge needed to start the Gemmer after I get the Cadet trapdoor going again.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

mdeland wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:47 pm Thanks for the help guys I have much to learn of Trapdoor Springfields.
Thanks for the offer Jim. I don't know that it would be worth your generosity and effort in helping me to figure out what I need to learn and do to pull this project off.
I'm just going to start gathering the parts and knowledge needed to start the Gemmer after I get the Cadet trapdoor going again.
OK if you change your mind just let me know and I will dispatch by pony express. there are some 50/70 stuff on ebay right now.

JimO
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Mike, I tested 50/70 brass in a '73 receiver. The trough is narrower in the '73 action and the brass may bind. You would be better off with a '68 or '70 receiver to build your Gemmer 50/70 trapdoor. You could probably make the '73 receiver work if you opened the trough slightly or turned the rims of the brass.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

OK, thanks John, that confirms what a shooting bud of mine told me about the 73 and later actions in regard to the 50-70 case head diameter.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

mdeland wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:21 pm OK, thanks John, that confirms what a shooting bud of mine told me about the 73 and later actions in regard to the 50-70 case head diameter.
I measured the 68 receiver trough and my 1889 one and the 68 50/70 is .025" thou. wider at the top edge. :?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, that's the measurement my shooting bud Pat Reed told me had to be removed on 73 and later actions. Thanks Jim!
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Out of curiosity, I measured the trough width about 1" behind the chamber on a m1866 and m1868. Both are about .700" wide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I just purchased an 1868 Trapdoor sporter in an online auction. It supposedly has a very good plus bore with strong rifling. It needs some TLC. we'll see when I get it.
'68 trapdoor sporter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Looks like a beavers been gnawing on the stock John, hope the barrel and internals live up to advertised expectations.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

What's it chambered in John ? I like the old girl already !