Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rgchristensen

Re: Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Post by rgchristensen »

Setting a Buffington sight .... Note that the sight graduations are in 25 yd increments. Each increment, then, amounts to around 4 MOA. It's easy to guesstimate quarters of the increments, about 1 MOA. This was taught me by the late Dennis Bruns, the acknowledged master of the Trapdoors. I had started out with a dial indicator, but soon abandoned it. Dennis's method is simpler, quicker, and adequate.

CHRIS
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Setting a Buffington sight .... Note that the sight graduations are in 25 yd increments. Each increment, then, amounts to around 4 MOA. It's easy to guesstimate quarters of the increments, about 1 MOA. This was taught me by the late Dennis Bruns, the acknowledged master of the Trapdoors. I had started out with a dial indicator, but soon abandoned it. Dennis's method is simpler, quicker, and adequate.

CHRIS
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My Buffington is so hard to read having such faint lettering that the caliper will be far easier to use once I get the measurements for the various yardages.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

MIke, try rubbing a white grease pencil into the markings on that Buffington.
you rub the white into the grooves and numbers and then wipe off the excess with a dry paper towel
Should make it easier to read.
beltfed/arnie
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Good idea,thanks for the suggestion! :D One needs eyes like an owl to see those little bitty hash marks and #'s. Once I get the caliper measurements for each distance it will be supper easy to set the sights without the scale, as shown in the pictures.
Lay the sight down, loosen the lock knob and push the sight slide from the base with the caliper bottom set at the proper measurement for that yardage. Lock the sight slide and lift the staff to vertical. Won't even need my reading glass for the job which will be handy.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Have any of you found the need to bush the large diameter firing pin in these TD's ?
Woody

Post by Woody »

No.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I'm with Woody, NO
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

I do apologize for being so verbose.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

I do apologize for being so verbose.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

So since wasting good breath when a simple NO will say it all ! :lol:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yep. Woops, there I go being verbose again.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Were going to have to start calling you Gabby! Yup, nope........... maybe ! :lol: :lol:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Something must be wrong with a fella that enjoys handling a gun or having it on his lap while watching a move or posting on a gun forum............... I confess to both! :lol: This TD just keeps crawling up on my lap like a new puppy for some reason. Must be lonely.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I got the 10 grain load of Unique and the Schmitzer bullet I like so well to shoot in the TD but was having trouble using the Buffington sight as the integrations are so tiny it is hard to set the scale on the slide . I began to carry a caliper and on the way home from the range last night I figured out a simple gauge that may be useful for some.
This was designed to quickly set my sight using this load combo for our clang and bang matches.
Each of the four sides has a section cut milled of the end of the square stock the prescribed amount to set the slide from the rear of the staff. The gauge simply lays on top the sight channel against the extractor leg at the rear and in the slide channel on the sight at the front which perfectly sets it up the same each time. The slide lock is loosened and the slide pushed back against the gauge then tightened down. Quick , easy and pretty much fool proof.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.