Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Post by mdeland »

Each of the four target distance settings is milled into one of the four sides of the gauge and the distance stamped into it. A different load combo can be milled into the four sides of the opposite end for a dual load gauge.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Little gauge works like a champ, surely it must have already been invented and in use somewhere it is so simple and easy to use but I've never seen one before. I've heard of gauges before on Buffington sights but was under the impression that they operated when the sight staff was vertical. Does anyone have one they could show a picture of?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

To be of any practical use, it needs to be adjustable. The forum and internet have many examples of adjustable ones. I like your concept. It looks quick and repeatable. But if you want to use it for full size and range silhouette or target rifle, it has to be adjustable in thousands of an inch with a scale. That's why most use something with a micrometer or Vernier scale. You can then ignore the scale on the Buffington and use the scale on your sight setter.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

mdeland wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:04 am Little gauge works like a champ, surely it must have already been invented and in use somewhere it is so simple and easy to use but I've never seen one before. I've heard of gauges before on Buffington sights but was under the impression that they operated when the sight staff was vertical. Does anyone have one they could show a picture of?
HI

Something like that ?

Gerald
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks guys , good stuff ! Yes , a micrometer adjustment would be better but for the 200 yards max target range and using the triangle open on the Buffington, I don't really need or could use the finer adjustments. My two Martini Cadet's in .357 Max and Magnum I have been using for this match have vernier sights and I have not really needed or used them much for a maximum range of 200 yards. The Martini's both are set up with a rear aperture and blade up front which makes the vernier more useful to me beyond 200.
The load I'm using was established with a caliper tail and when centered on target at the various yardages the thousands reading was recorded and transferred to the gauge. The gauge sets the rifle up for the target range required in a calm air center strike.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The more I chew on this gauge thing I think what I'll do is set up the other end for the peep sight using the same load. I prefer the triangle open in poor light but on a bright day I think the peep might be an advantage.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Woody, I could make that little gauge adjustable by tapping a fine set screw into each of the four sides in the middle near the edge for the rear of the slide to contact and set it with a caliper.
The trouble with using the caliper as the gauge is used is that it will not lay flush or parallel with the Buffington slide so the slight tangent angle of the caliper reading had to be accounted for on the gauge when it was milled.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well the gauge worked pretty well for all distances but 50 meters which could stand to be a few points shorter/lower as I tended to miss high with the Cadet trapdoor. Man was is fun to shoot with those light Unique loads.
I didn't figure to get more than a couple of Geese at 150 but managed 6 which is about my norm with any rifle so was delighted with the new gun.
Wound up in second place with a rather low score of 26 but felt well satisfied using the new gun and still working on sights and load.
When I missed it was almost always high but the windage remain remarkably consistent with this rifle through all four yardages.
I really like these Trapdoor guns and am getting used to working the Buffington with the gauge!