Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Post by mdeland »

No it will have eight lands and grooves I believe. I should have just left well enough alone and shot it till it quit. But having no trouble with the rolling block barrel in 43 Spanish of equivalent vintage and diameter I had no clue it would cave in like it did from the rosin blocks. I have never had that happen before in 40 years of barrel removal and install.
I kept getting brown rust oxide out every time I cleaned it and it was driving me nuts, so after the sear lift job and getting the trigger good I wanted to lap it to bright bore metal again.
This will no doubt be a better barrel but it was disappointing as I wanted to see what the old barrel could do with a good lap job.
I'll check the new one out as well as I have gotten them from the factory before that had tight spots in brand new barrels.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I probably should point out the reason for a sear lift as opposed to grinding down the full cock notch is so the sear nose will clear and not bang on or hook the other two (1/4 and 1/2) cock notches, in the hammer or tumbler, when the trigger is pulled.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Related to how Mike modified his tumbler, here's an article that covers several options including installing a set-screw that's similar to Mike's mod.:
http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/useful-locks.shtml

I also mentioned the single-set trigger option that's available in another recent thread on the TDs:
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_p ... 533%29.htm

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Perhaps is is good providence that you collapsed that TD barrel. I noted that you were getting a lot of brown
rust from the bore. I may have had deep rust, corrosion cracking
from the inside . Really deep bore rust could have been the reason the barrel collapsed
under the clamping of the rosin blocks.
You may have therefore avoided a nasty accidental blowup.
beltfed/arnie
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks Arnie, You may very well be right on, it made no sense to me that the roller barrel did not demonstrate any such weakness being of the same approximate girth and time of manufacture.
The musket barrels at Springfield were made of iron scalps, rolled into tubes and seem welded their length and rolled to final contour. By the time the 45-70 cartridge came out they were of mild steel and seamless made from a cylinder of 2 x 9 inches drilled down the center and rolled to final shape and length around a mandrel.
At any rate Douglas xx barrels along with Green Mtn have been my favorite barrels for all of my projects. I have used Shilen and Shaw quite a bit also but have had better success with uniformity from Douglas and Green Mtn. Badger made some good barrels as well for our sport.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

What is so neat about the pin lift method is not having to drill and tap a hole in a very hard, deep cased, piece of steel , all the adjustment is done at the fitting before it is loc'tited to stay put. When fitting it just gets stoned down a bit at a time, until you get the proper height and let off you want, glued in and your done. The close fit to the drilled hole is what makes it so stable.
It's the easiest and most trouble free method I have discovered to date. It also is easy to remove and or change if one desires to.
axman

Post by axman »

Mike, I don’t know if you’d still want to experiment with original barrels?
Ed Knisely in Pennsylvania is a good guy to buy original parts from.
He probably has a good barrel to fit up.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for the info axman. I was really after a shooter and now with the new Douglas barrel it will be. I did want to lap out the original barrel and see if I could get the same good results as I did with 43 Spanish Roller but figured on installing a new barrel eventually.
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Sir, could you please post pictures of the threads and chamber area of the barrel? I've read that they are square threads.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Here is the barrel root and thread info for 1873 Springfield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Thank you sir. That is most helpful. I'm pondering dreaming up a civilian style TD, with a octagon barrel. I've more thought to do on that subject though.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I had to order straight from Douglas as Brownells who I usually get my barrels from do not carry the un-turned blanks in 22 twist any longer. The person I ordered from told me they would make a run in about two weeks and he would give me a call when it was ready for shipment. I want to get this project going before spring gets all the way here so I can shoot it this summer. Plus, I have to admit, I just like to turn steel and make new rifles as much as shooting them so it is kind of like a kid in a candy store. :lol:
I'll include some pictures of the build as it progresses for those who are interested in such.
Got another big snow last week of about 15 inches and 8 inches more a few days later, it looks more like we're diving through irrigation ditches around here with the snow piled up level with most mail boxes on the level. When the graders come through it's pushed up level with dumpster top.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well Douglas just gave me a call and the new barrel is on it's way. I should be able to start making chips in a few days. I can hardly wait to get the ole girl back in action.
I also want to get that Gemmer project going soon as I can come up with another suitable action.
I didn't get an answer on the question if a 73 or later action needs any modification to handle the case head width of the 50-70.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

mdeland,
You will need to do some substantial extractor work.....
Tom
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

I saw a couple M1868 stripped actions on Gunbroker.