Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tom Trevor

Re: Trapdoor ........... perhaps

Post by Tom Trevor »

The photograph of the barrel band shows it reversed the U goes towards the muzzle on the lock side of stock. As should the front band.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Mike, I did an intergal lug on a barrel just as you are doing. I milled the lug to shape then milled most of the excess material away by rotating it in a V block and milling it close to the barrel size. I then put it back in the lathe and ground a tool to act as a broach. By scraping the tool back and forth and rotating the barrel by hand I got it cut to within .001" of the barrel diameter. A little hand work and it was perfect. Mine was more of an integral key to hold a front sight block in place but the principal is the same.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks Tom, when I pushed the band back on I was wondering if I got it right side out or not but couldn't remember how I orientated it in the bin I was storing the parts. I positioned it in parts bin with orientation in mind and then forgot which way I did it. Should have put a piece of tap on it.
Great Idea John I'll give broaching technique a try! Thanks for the help guys I love good ideas I had not thought of. Kinda like finding a gold nugget in a stream bed! :lol:
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

John Bly wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:02 am Mike, I did an intergal lug on a barrel just as you are doing. I milled the lug to shape then milled most of the excess material away by rotating it in a V block and milling it close to the barrel size. I then put it back in the lathe and ground a tool to act as a broach. By scraping the tool back and forth and rotating the barrel by hand I got it cut to within .001" of the barrel diameter. A little hand work and it was perfect. Mine was more of an integral key to hold a front sight block in place but the principal is the same.
John that's how the did milling in the old days before the Bridgeport mill was invented.

Jim O
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

The mill was actually invented not long after the lathe, but the cutting tool technologies of the time were far from ready for it. Due to that the shaper/planer was used for the milling operations.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I got the sight lug milled out last night and it came out pretty well. Now the long blend job of taper match and finish polish.
The front sight ring fit nicely as well when put on.
The more I look at the raised area around and below the sight lug I'm thinking about evening it out and leaving the sight band look. Sure will be less work and still looks pretty good.
The sight blade slot did come out top dead center fortunately .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I milled it in the Forrester sight jig which has two V block and one flat top adjustable positions along it's length. The action flats screwed on the barrel provided the top dead center reference. I use a bore spud from a scope columator to get the barrel bore level in the mill for the sight blade cut.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Oooops I meant front barrel ring fit well . I have had sights on the brain of late hoping I wouldn't screw up the lug mill out. Actually there wasn't much to it once it began to happen.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I did decide to lap this barrel as the choke in the muzzle is tighter and more abrupt than I want. Rust blue, install and pin a front blade and the ole girl should be back in shooting trim.
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Mike very very nice work you have my complements! How dark are you planning going with the rust blue?

Jim O
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I use the Niedner method and solution which is very tough and an old style blue brown color. I don't even use my hot blue tanks any more the rust blue is so much superior in look and toughness. I can and have messed up doing this stuff just as any other mechanic but like to share the doing of it and bring folks along for the ride on the project win loose or draw. We all learn from the experience and it seems to be interesting for folks.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

A perspective of barrel steel removal for a trapdoor Springfield. Seem like I ought to be able to trade those shavings in for a partial refund as there was probably as much or more steel in chips as is left in the barrel. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The lapping is done and the bore is now level. What I thought was bit on choke in the muzzle was actually a bit of button deformation that the lap slug revealed. I took a good half inch off the muzzle end of the barrel blank to clear for the crown but apparently I should have gone another 1/4 inch. I'll need to put it back in the lathe and take about another .050-.080 off the crown to clean it up a bit better. I never cease to be amazed at what a lapping slug will tell you about a bore.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Here is what the lap rod looks like with the string dam to stop the hot lead.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I decided to leave the band below the lug so cleaned it up tonight and am happy with the look of it plus it alleviates the need to blend the taper.