22 rifle accuracy in the 1930 s

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

22 rifle accuracy in the 1930 s

Post by Glen Ring »

I was reading a few pages from C.S. Landis writings in the 1930s on 22 Long rifle accuracy.

Just when I think that modern ,air gauged barrels and German or Finnish made modern 22 ammunition is tops , I read what the shooters were doing WAY back then.

4 inch groups at 200 yards were apparently common.
18 or 19 shots into a 10 inch circle at 300 yards were common.
Those old timers even shot at 500 yards for practice.

Those old fellows could SHOOT and read the wind .
Just when us " youngsters' think we've got the latest and greatest equipment and techniques, our Grand fathers had already been there and shot that.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
ChrisF

Re: 22 rifle accuracy in the 1930 s

Post by ChrisF »

I just purchased a book the golden age of the American Schuetzenfest A History And Study of the Marksmans Art

By Randolph Schreiner Wright
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Schreiter
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

They were great shots way back then
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

4” groups with a 22lr at 200 yards is pretty damn good for way back then - especially when you read the latest dope on all the 22lr voodu barrel advancements and what they consider you need for 22lr accuracy at those ranges. That is pretty amazing!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, when I can get ten in an inch at 100 yards I feel very satisfied with rifle and ammo. It usually happens that two or three go outside that.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Just because it was written doesn’t mean it actually happened.

I find that kind of accuracy a wee bit hard to believe. They were not that much better shooters than we are today.

Wade
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

I have a No.3 Ballard that was given to my father by a man that my grandfather did carpentry for. He gave my father all his guns in 1952. He had sent the Ballard to Winchester in 1930 and had them install a Model 52 barrel and shot it in competition in the 30’s & 40’s, so I am told. The configuration of the rifle is typical prone/position rifle of the ‘30’s and 40’s and has a Lyman 5A scope on it. I am now the caretaker of the rifle. Luckily it was very well cared for and will shoot inside 4” at 200 yds.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

22Ballard

That's very cool that you have that fine, old rifle. Post a Pic of it !! I think if every fine old rifle like that had a story of it's life in print that would be some very fine reading.

The tradition of a lot of families back then was a lifetime of shooting experience that was passed down to a willing and eager next generation. That next generation CHERISHED those old firearms that their Grandfather's and Grand mothers shot hunting and in contests.

I Know it's a cherished firearm and I hope you get to shoot it in competition or hunting.
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

Thanks, that Ballard has a lot if sentimental value. Also have a 1939 Eric Johnson Ballard and a Neidner Ballard that was barreled in 1939. I won AAA a couple of years at Tornado Alley with it, against tough competition. I fondly remember those shoot-offs with Joe Scott.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Some these books portray the feats of accuracy as common. Were they? Or just random occasional targets by exceptional shots. Shooters today get sub moa targets too.

There are shooters today shoot those fine groups. Who does it nearly every time? How many actually did it nearly every time then? Obviously it was a period when the interest, relative to population, was far higher and people were shooters.

Not questioning the "golden age" just if they were any better.
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

Gussy, good question, things to ponder. From what I’ve read, there were a lot of matches offering big money prizes and apparently there were shooters who made a living traveling to and competing in these matches. It sounds like it’s the equivalent of modern day bowlers or golfers tour competitions. With that level of competition and prizes, there must have been some good shooters shooting very good scores. And, the 200 yd record that CW Roland set with that Pope Ballard stood for quite a while .
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

You might check out CAPT Crossman’s Small Bore Rifle Shooting, which includes a hard reality check into the .22 rimfire accuracy argument. He shows a 200-yd group of 10 shots in 3.30” made on a machine rest with Peters .22 LR Outdoor Tackhole ammunition. His comment: “Not at all typical of 200-yard groups.”

Another comment: “..he can get a lot of fun out of the 200-yd game, but not as long as he thinks the rifle and ammunition ought to put every shot within the 7-1/5” ring if he does his part.”

The 1919 Dewar Team’s groups at 100 yards ranged from 2-1/2” to 5-1/4”, with scores from 89 to 97.

He said that between the turn of the twentieth century and the late ‘20s, rifle and ammunition accuracy capabilities had improved somewhat. But a surprisingly small fraction of these increases translated into better results for the person sweating in the heat in his shooting coat, trussed up in a sling, with competition fever running rampant.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Advancement in manufacturing processes for both firearms and ammunition is much better now. There are certainly some modern athletes trained at the Olympic training center that can hold steadier. That those folks shot that well with that equipment in that time period is amazing . I think the shooting sports were very popular then and brought out the best of the best. That was the 30's...things have certainly changed.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

My Model 52 Winchester is easily capable of 4 inch groups at 200 meters with Lapua Polar ammo. No doubt that our predecessors were expert rifleman. There were some pretty awesome rifles being manufactured with way more hand fitting than we see in current rifles. We also have awesome modern 22 rifles. In general the current population is woefully untrained in rifle shooting compared to our parents and grandparents. Growing up in rural Northern Indiana back in the 60's I brought my 22 rifle to school so I could shoot at varmints on the way home. I carried it on the bus. Try doing that today!