What is the proper use of shooting sticks?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Fiatmom

What is the proper use of shooting sticks?

Post by Fiatmom »

I have a bit of confusion regarding the use of shooting sticks. Is it proper to rest the barrel on the sticks or the fore arm of the stock?
I have been told both and use the fore arm on modern guns when using a rest. Could you please inform me as to which is best and why?
Nick
jackrabbit

Re: What is the proper use of shooting sticks?

Post by jackrabbit »

The beauty of BPCR is there is a rarely a "best" solution. Find what works for you. I rest my cross sticks on the barrel not far back from the muzzle. It works on BPCR because the barrels are so heavy. On lighter barreled modern smokeless guns, resting it on the barrel will change your point of impact of the bullet and therefore should be rested on the forearm. On BPCR rifles the barrels are not free floated and the forearm is just screwed to the barrel, so there is not a big advantage to resting it on the forearm.
Good luck!
Cody
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

"----barrel on the cross stix----"
beltfed/arnie
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Jeanne and I rest the sticks on the barrel, up against the forearm. Brian chilson, the best BPCR shooter I have met, has a string attached to his sticks to help keep them straight. I think he also measures how deep his sticks are pushed in.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Fiatmom

Post by Fiatmom »

Thanks Cody now it makes sense
Nick