Interesting day at the gun show

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Interesting day at the gun show

Post by Woody »

My first real foray into the wild since my brush with Covid in December. Louisville, KY hosted a gun show at the Expo Center this weekend. Lots of black plastic and velcro present, but Louisville also has a good selection of earlier weapons also. Observed a number of original 74 Sharps, Winchesters, and Ballards, but I was looking for an Artillery P08. Not a single one present. Took me five hours to figure that one out. During the search, I found a wonderful Peabody rifle in 90 percent plus condition, in 43 Spanish and a Borchardt Model 78 Military, with a pristine bore and lots of external finish. Somehow the Borchardt ended up on my back seat and came home with me.

Oh, by the way, primers were going for $300/1000. What is the world coming too?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bobw

Re: Interesting day at the gun show

Post by bobw »

Was in Pierre , SD gunshow today woody same on the primers $120-300 a brick. Picked up some brass for a bud and found a nice 10 ct box of 1870 's Eli Remigton & Sons 44 caliber rifle match bullets still all wrapped up in the box and original cellophane. Right on the lable it says to wipe after every shot for best accuracy. bobw
bobw
semtav

Post by semtav »

Woody wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:40 pm

Oh, by the way, primers were going for $300/1000. What is the world coming too?

Woody

I took the 50 lbs of gold out of my safe today and put all my primers in. Hopefully if someone comes to rob me they'll see the gold on the floor and leave my safe alone.

:lol: :lol:
MLV

Post by MLV »

Woody, be careful of those artillery Lugers. They are a money pit because You will eventually “need” a snail drum magazine which needs a special and very rare loading tool and a special tool to adjust the sights and then leather gear, a special cleaning rod and other stuff to fill the pockets in the leather gear. Ask me how I know.
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Following SEMTAV's lead I pushed some "stuff" aside to make room for primers in my safe.

Wah lahh, found a sleeve of 5M BR-2's and a sleeve of 5M F210M I forgot that I had.

Fortunately, I was able to squeeze them all in and still close the door.

Now, what to do with the "stuff" ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

you can't use them anymore they are now collectables and must be put in the cody museum :D art
Woody

Post by Woody »

I hear you Mike. I was outbid on two different ones last month on the Rock Island auction. They came with holster and stock board. Snail drums were in the auction too. Looks like my purse is not large enough at present.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Wonder how many primers the auction winner had to part with to pay for those relics?
Woody

Post by Woody »

I did pick up two P38's with holsters and accouterments in that auction. 9MM suddenly is now my most numerous pistol caliber.

I also cast up a few 500 grain .45's to give the N-T-M Borchardt a test. The snow is melting and we are finally in a warm period. Soon.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
bobw

Post by bobw »

Woody, those military borchardt shoot sweet . We run 30+ rounds of 45-2.1 's with a 420 ppb thru my buddy's same gun as yours a few years back at the Q it really hung on those 600 octagons IIRC he went 4 straight on them and handed it to me but I only went 3 in a row. Military barrel sights. They are shooters. bobw
bobw
Woody

Post by Woody »

Both my High Wall and Trapdoor loads drop into the chamber. They are probably a little on the heavy side. I'll get a test load of 500 grainers loaded up tomorrow.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice snag Woody! That is my next rifle I want to get. Always loved the Borchardt's but they sure are hard to come by up here for anything like a sane price.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Something about Borchardts being fun to shoot and beautiful in their own way that is endearing to many.
IIRC the Borchardt was developed as a target rifle and modified to military specs later.
Apparently, in the military mindset anyway, there was something undesirable about the safety.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I don't think I'll attempt to fiddle with the sear, but it breaks cleanly at about 4 pounds. Everything is slush now and will be for the next couple of days, so it may be a while before I can throw some lead.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Just did a trigger job on a friends Borchardt about two months ago and it was quite a job having to assemble and disassemble 4-5 times to get the sear nose and striker notch stoned correctly and the sear adjustment screw set right. I think we finished up at three pounds if I remember with a crisp break that would stay consistent in the cold. The inconsistency with temperature change was the part that really bugged him. The trigger bar need smooth up on most of them as well.
I also had to replace one of the cracked cocking cams. Sure are cool ole guns!
I'm going to get after this 79 trapdoor I picked up too as I don't know much about them yet. I rebarreled an 84 earlier this year and had to make a new extractor for it. I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. My, that was quite a project I have to say. Who would think such a small part would take so long to fabricate and heat treat?