Interesting day at the gun show

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Interesting day at the gun show

Post by Woody »

Mike I just spent 30 seconds on ebay and found three extractors for sale from 49 to 55 each. There are other sources for trapdoor parts. They are all out there.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Try here for trapdoors parts also. He has your extractor for 45.

Contact Al Frasca at 937-399-5002 or e-mail him at: afrasca@erinet.com.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I didn't think to try E-bay for gun parts. Numrich was out and didn't know when they would get more. It didn't look hard to make and I had the tool steel on hand so went to work and was surprised how long it took me. It came out fine but was a surprise to me.
I'm anxious to hear how your new Borchardt shoots and what you learn about it! YOU guys that do your own gun work are always finding out new stuff and methods of how do work on them many of which I don't know about and have not tried.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks, that's a # that will go on my shop wall for parts! Didn't know about him at all!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Boy I wished you'd been around to help us figure out what I had here in this Cadet trapdoor in figuring out if it was a 77 or 79. I finally figured it out when I removed the barrel and found the slight shoulder cut into the stock barrel channel that fit the ever slightly larger receiver face width to the barrel root diameter which is supposed to be the telling mark. It had a 97000 serial # as well that confused us as they were not supposed to go above 80,000 I think is what Flandernan says.
Some of the stuff Flanderman would say tended toward one direction of identity and then later information would take you in the other direction.
I'm going to see what I can learn from them about the various Borchardt models as well as they are fascinating to me and am on the hunt for one that needs some help. I really love picking up some of these abused orphans and bring them back to life if possible !
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The correct name is Flayderman Guide book of antique guns . I was reading about Bannerman's modifications on Trapdoor's and my memory made a mix of the two hence Flanderman. :lol: Kind of like presaxctly! :lol:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Flayderman's describes the military as 45-70 cal, 32.5 inch barrel with full forearm fastened with two barrel bands, cleaning rod beneath barrel and Military sights. Approximately 6900 were made. Very good condition 1750.00 and excellent are 3750.00.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I scoped and measured the Borchardt's chamber and determined a max OAL for the 500 grain Baco Govt. bullet I have. Long throat allowed two grease grooves to be seated out of the case, thus allowing 70 grains of 2FG Swiss to be under the bullet with about .050 inch compression. Took it to the range this morning. The benches were clear, but the range had 6-8 inches of crusty snow cover. Posted a NRA 100 yard target at 25 yards and drilled the X of the center. Encouraging. I then posted it at the 100 yard line. The next five shots went into the 10 ring. My eyes were starting to strain and my next few shots opened with a couple going into the nine ring. I think this Borchardt just might be a shooter.

I didn't post a target at the 200 yard line. I don't have energy to post hole through 200 yards of snow yet.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That is very cool to hear Woody! I've never been able to understand how any rifle can be accurate with barrel bands holding a narrow strip of wood on the tube ,but they are! Same deal with muzzle loaders and three wedges or cross pins up barrel or two and three band muskets.
One would think each band would independently induce it's own barrel harmonics into the mix and make a mess of any consistency.