Neck size bushing for Lee universal expander die

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ndnchf

Neck size bushing for Lee universal expander die

Post by ndnchf »

I'm sure others have done this before, but a Google search came up with nothing so I thought I'd share it.

I got thinking more about ways to better tighten the neck of my. 44-77s after the PP bullets are seated. It just needed to be a few thousandths tighter. I got thinking about the Lee universal expander dies. I already make my own expander plugs for them, and wondered if I could make a neck sizer bushing. So after taking some measurements and thinking about it over this morning's coffee and making a drawing, I went over to the lathe and went to work.

After it was done and polished I ran 20 cartridges through it. They tightened up nicely. I'm no machinist. Just a home tinkerer. But I thought I'd give it a try. It turned out surprisingly well.

Has anyone else done this or is there a vendor who makes bushings like this? The Lee universal expander dies are inexpensive. They seem like a viable alternative to much more expensive bushing dies. It may not work for every application, but it seems to work well for me.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
ndnchf

Re: Neck size bushing for Lee universal expander die

Post by ndnchf »

A couple more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Nice work.
beltfed/arnie
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Good idea and very neat work. I do envy those that can use a lathe. As for the concept.. I've not done it myself but I did approach
CH4D with some dimensions for neck sizers that would allow me to run the loaded round in and give it a squeeze snug . There isnt
much clearance to the threads above though so I have to be careful not to tear the patch. You appear to have that covered as the
necking shaft is longer with your set up.
rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Yes, I was concerned about the patch. So I made the bushing 1.375" long to accommodate it. The crimping part is only .500" long, the remainder is about .015" larger than the patched bullet.

I'm really surprised that NOE, BACO, TOTW or some other BPCR vendor doesn't offer them. A commercial shop could easily turn them out.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Being a bit on the Frugal (cheap) side I went the bushing die route when I got my 44-77. I have neck size bushings for both PP and GG bullets, I also made up a bushing to put a taper crimp on. I can use the same die to decap and seat the bullets. I had never thought of using a bushing to size a loaded round to just snug up on the bullet but its not a bad idea and would be easy to make up another bushing to do just that instead of using a taper crimp. So far I have made up 2 different dies. One for cases up to 2 1/4" and a shorter one for cases in the 1 7/8" length. Since I use a Co-AX press the threads are not a big concern so when I made my short die I made it from Aluminum. I happened to have some on stock and so far it seems to be working just fine.
Making up the bushings and dies are not out of the skill levels of a home machinist. If you can cut threads you can easily do the rest of the work and one of the small bench lathes that will chase threads is all you need.
Sam