Better than the Buffalo Harvest.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Re: Better than the Buffalo Harvest.

Post by bobw »

My brother scored a 45-3 1/4" at a gunshow a couple years back. I think it belonged to some gomer that ordered it from Shiloh who got scared off it by this forum before rd 1 was fired in it. At any rate he brought it to me and I sized some new Norma 45 3 1/4" basic down enough to get them to chamber. Yeah they needed trimming and chambering also. I started with a 540 gr ppb with gave me a 4" group at 50 yards and the impression that it was not big enough or hard enough for the job. Next up was 565 grain ppb from the same 45 tgbs mold adjusted out using 1 in 16 alloy. The cases sized held 116 hrs of Fg goex drop tubed to the top of the case, I hard carded them and compressed the charge enough to get a 3/16" lube wad in and another card wad with the ppb seated in about .2". When the loaded rd lays in the palm of your hand they hang out on both ends. It's not a cartridge for the recoil " sensitive". First 3 rds at 50 yards you could cover easy with a 50 cent piece. It definitely not the kind of gun you shoot all day. You sure don't have any problems finding the shells in your pocket either. The 3 1/4" cases shoot fine when loaded correctly for the chamber you have. Bobw
bobw
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

for 5.99 amazon. why not? just ordered mine...thanks..Ken
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Only thing is I now HATE the idea of ordering Anything from Amazon
beltfed/arnie
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Arnie: I feel the same 'bout Amazon. I order a new copy from ABE Books, a used book site. https://www.abebooks.com/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
bobw

Post by bobw »

Never done business with Amazon in my life, yet 2 days a go I get a phone call that sounds prerecorded from some guy who says his name is Daniel and that they had noticed suspicious active on my account for 1500 dollars and I need to press 1 or 2 any confirm my information and activity. Sounded like a phishing trip to me so I hung up after I clicked off. Sometimes I wonder just how smart is having a smart phone. Anywhere else a guy can buy that book? Bobw
bobw
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

BobW, see Ray's note above about Abe Books
beltfed/arnie
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Also try:

Alibris -- https://www.alibris.com/

Thrift Books -- https://www.thriftbooks.com/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

William Pickett also used a Sharps .44 2/58" BN and loved it as well having bought one from Sharps in June 1876 and used it on a 16 month hunting trip to the Rockies in 1876/77.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Very interesting Kenny. Thanks for sharing.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Just ordered my copy at Abe books. $10.69 book, postage, tax.
Chip Mate

Post by Chip Mate »

Got mine on e-bay, think they had one more left.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I am about one-third of the way into the book. Well written and the descriptions of Yellowstone and winter are real to life. Interesting also are the grizzly bear hunting accounts. Well with the US $10.00 or so for the book.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Just ordered it, Thanks for the link Ray.
Tuscarora

Post by Tuscarora »

Good read. What was most enjoyable for me was that a lot of what he wrote and specifically where, is where I grew up. Not to mention, and excepting the park, have hunted those places too. Wish there were bighorn sheep left in some of those places!

Different time, but I wish their shooting of game was a bit more accurate. Makes me cringe how much game he shot without recovery or much concern, at least as written. Watched a couple shitheads out of Billings shoot up a herd of elk one time. They took the spike they wanted and left three dead cows on the ground. Who knows what ran off shot up. Scouted the shooters, got their license plate, and turned them in. Got to confront them a day later with the Sheriff and Game Warden. Good times. $$$

Did a little research. He only married once, and his wife died in 1871, either giving birth, or from complications thereof. The child born was male, and only lived three years, dying in 1874. These things may also have been an impetus to get out of town.

As Kenny mentioned, he served three terms in the Wyoming Legislature. He was also one of the earliest members of the Boone & Crockett Club, and in 1897 served as it's Vice President.

The Col. left the ranch for the East, Kentucky, in 1904 at the age of 77. He died in Lexington, Kentucky, 5 March, 1917, at the age of 90. He died from starvation essentially, secondary to an esophageal diverticulum according to his death certificate. He couldn't swallow.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Thanks for the heads up on this book Kenny. I finished reading it recently. It was truly a joy to read and see the many places I've been that he spoke of. I was born and raised in Great Falls so many of these locations he described I've been at or near. The Sheep hunting was fun to read about and now there are Sheep doing very well in the River breaks again.
It was nice to see a man being honest about his shooting it really added to the entire story. I'll be re reading this one and I'm sure there will be many things that stand out that I missed the first time.