Do it before you die

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Do it before you die

Post by Glen Ring »

We all want to mark things off our bucket list. I'm as bad as anyone saying " No time for that this summer, maybe next summer."
I have had three partners that have died in the last few months.Partners are VERY special..closer than a brother and just less than a wife.
One from my days working narcotics.
One from the Training division at the range.
The most recent was a Patrol partner from 40 years ago. I thought he'd live to be 100 years old.

There have been other co-workers and friends that have died recently ...one died Today.

My point is not doom and gloom, because when folks in my former profession die we all tell funny stories about facing death with them...but my point is the circle seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

Jeanne and I have dedicated this summer to BPCR shooting only. As we get older we KNOW that someday is TODAY.
We have a great supply of primers and Pyrodex that we plan on burning up at YOUR match.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
bruce m

Re: Do it before you die

Post by bruce m »

very good post glen.
it is so easy to mean to do it tomorrow, but when you do that, so often tomorrow never comes.
then it is today and it is too late, you have never lived your life.
the old sayin "you never regret what you did, only what you didn't do" comes close to the bone on your deathbed.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Glenn, I remember a humorous poster I once saw in a heavy equipment shop I work for and it read: When I die I want to go peacefully, in my sleep like grandpa did............................... not screaming and carrying on like the folks in the back seat of his station wagon! :lol: :lol:
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

When I die I want to come back in my next reincarnated life as a really fancy Shiloh chambered in 40-65.
Glenn
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

SSShooter wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:37 am When I die I want to come back in my next reincarnated life as a really fancy Shiloh chambered in 40-65.
Funny you say that Glenn. Jeanne's old High wall 40-65 is named after her mother Margret Yvonne. Jeanne's mother was a VERY good looking woman...VERY good looking. When you see me cleaning Jeanne's rifle at a match and Jeanne and I are giggling I have probably made some kind of inappropriate comment !!

We have both had buds die recently and have dedicated this summer to US. We have ELIMINATED all drama from our lives...ALL DRAMA.
Time to shoot , eat good food and giggle.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

the future is today you can't replay yesterday art
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Art...my older cousin said that to me for years when I was a teenager. Only now in my old age, do I believe it.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Glenn, I know all too well the pain of losing LEO partners. I have lost two in the past 5 years. The remaining group of officers still get together and share stories, lies and sometimes tears of our comrades.

Andre`
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Andre
Partners are very special. I also know I'm old when the son of my former shift commander is retiring after 35 years of service. life goes on..and we either roll with it or fade away. This summer is my summer of being selfish and shooting the matches I want to shoot. Maybe I'll meet you at a match and we can exchange tales of service!...out of earshot of those that are Easily offended !!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well the thing to remember is that law enforcement personal, first responders and hospital staff are every bit as honorable and heroic as those of us who have been in the military often times more so. They take care of things at home while we're often abroad seeing that our loved ones are safe and secure.
Society could no more function without the beat cop and emergency room personal then they can without and Army , Navy, Marine Corp or Air Force.
mikec

Post by mikec »

I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks and Glen's thread struck a cord. Many years ago, a childhood friend showed me the Shiloh Sharps he'd ordered. I remember thinking, "WOW! What a phenomenal firearm!" I think I even told him it was way too nice for him. My friend died not too long after that meeting and his brother is now the keeper of that Sharps.

Now, I'm just a casual shooter and, to date, my favorite range pieces are an '03 Springfield, an M1a and a Winchester 1873 (new model) in .45 LC. Still interested in Sharps firearms, I was looking on line the other day at some reproductions and really thinking about ordering one. Somehow, I found Bill Goodman's site and, after a couple of emails and phone conversations, he got me fixed up. A few weeks later, again on Bill's site, I saw another interesting one that'll be coming out of manufacturing sometime around May 15th and ordered it, too. I figured after surviving combat in Vietnam, teenage daughters and several family reunions, what the heck!

By the way, I've been enjoying learning about Shiloh Sharps firearms through you good people on this forum. Hopefully, I won't have to lurk much longer before I'm knowledgeable enough to ask a semi-intelligent question.

Mike
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Come to Kentucky and or Friendship Indiana!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

MikeC - as Ian said, Ashland, KY is about 5hr from you, as are Shippensburg, PA and River Bend GC north of Atlanta. All are great BPCR matches. A couple of your fellow NCarolinians (from further east) shoot these matches most months. Friendship is about 3hr further, as is Ridgway, PA, where the BPCR nationals (along with lever gun & high power silhouettes nats) are being held this year. Don't let the fact that they are the Nats hold you back. Still have all classes shooting and it is just as much fun in AA/A/B classes as it is in Mstr & AAA classes. Come join in the fun.
Glenn
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Mikec
My first lever action match WAS the nationals!
A marine recon Sniper told me it was a fun sport and I thought he was joking.
I bought an 18 inch marlin 357 with Buck horn, factory sights and shot both Pistol cartridge and Rifle classes. I was 6th place Master and that got me hooked. Shoot the nationals.

BPCR Silhouette has been a learning process and this is our 3rd year. My wife Jeanne shoots everything that I do. We just NOW in the last 5 minutes, finished loading her ammo for her 40-65 to shoot this weekend's match.

BPCR is full of folks that want to help.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I've been lucky in that I really don't have a bucket list, not anymore anyway, I joined the Army in 1986 and after graduating from Bennings school for wayward boys, went straight to Germany. I was an Infantryman for 22 yrs, I retired in 08. Then I became a coach/school teacher. I got to see and do things I hadn't even realized was on my bucket list curtesy of Uncle Sam! My Wife and I have been married 33yrs and we've always lived our life together like that, if there is something we want to do or try we don't put it off, if its expensive we save up and do it. Most of what was on our bucket list was visiting places and so far we've been able to do that! Lot of places I didn't know I wanted to visit I got to go curtesy of Uncle again!!! I'm way into hunting, guns and Fly fishing and the wife knew that when she married me. I'm also an avid motorcycle rider and she knew that also cause on our first date I didn't own a car just a motorcycle then, so when I asked her out and she said yes I told her it was the bike or her car,,, we went in her car. She does ride with me often and has her own bike so we do share that one together which we both greatly enjoy.
Glen I still need to get up there and shoot with yall, when it warms up a little and I've worked out a decent load on my Shiloh we'll plan something. What is the shoot yalls attending this weekend???
Chris Wilson
SW Okla. (Where the Wind is always Blowing)
Chris Wilson