NRA in the news

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Re: NRA in the news

Post by SSShooter »

Woody - I'm guessing the volume of "send us more money" letters from the NRA to you and your fellow club members hasn't dropped off despite the -$22 balance in your club's bank account.

If folks want to buy lapierre and his cronies a life-style to which they have become accustomed, that's their business. I prefer to give my money to those who use it against the anti-gun nuts rather than for themselves.
Glenn
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Gamerancher wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:05 am It's the oldest trick in the play-book, divide and conquer. Judging by the bitching I've seen over the last ten years about the NRA, it seems to be working.
Doesn't change the facts :!:
NRA didn't do much to help California when I lived there.
The NRA of today is a joke. Look how it has abandoned major shooting competitions.
This from one who started out as a life member in 1967.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

The NRA is just another group, not unlike our government institutions, that are supported by a lazy and naive constituency that thinks that sending money to a group will solve their problems - those representative groups will always and inevitably decay to corruption.
On the bright side, at least people have a choice to send money to the NRA - the government takes your labor value and wealth by force. However, the conclusion remains the same - the naive masses and corrupt institutions - a conveyor belt of money delivered to the pompous few.
TAA

Post by TAA »

Maybe +30-years ago our club voted to make NRA membership a requirement for each member. The other two requirements are annual club dues and 18-hours of labor/service hours. Two years ago, due to member demand, we were given the choice to belong to either of three organizations-NRA, or two other specific gun rights groups. Most stayed with the NRA.

Tom
RK

Post by RK »

SSShooter wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:01 am Woody - I prefer to give my money to those who use it against the anti-gun nuts rather than for themselves.
[

Asking for a friend. Who are the anti- gun nuts?
Lol
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Gamerancher wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:05 am It's the oldest trick in the play-book, divide and conquer. Judging by the bitching I've seen over the last ten years about the NRA, it seems to be working.
Daniel...I agree.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
hepburnman

Post by hepburnman »

I was unable to join a gun club in my state because I was not then a current an NRA member. I effectively quit when all the Obama-bashing started, especially from the NRA. We had Obama for 8 years and we can still own our guns. He did not petition to take them away as others had paraded.

The attendance in our competition sports diminishes every year. Maybe this is largely due to the younger people not interested in the type of guns shot in the competitions I attend, but the gun club I did not join is also losing out, at least in my case.

We can continue to take the stance that we will fight any new gun laws, even though some of these make sense, such as nationwide I.D. checks before allowing gun purchases, limited amounts of purchases in a short amount of time, no gun sales at gun shows without this check, etc. Continued sale of large-capacity military-type (assault) weapons that have shown to be efficient in killing large numbers of people in very short events.

The non-budging stance on common-sense laws, that can also help protect us, will only lead to increased demand for more restrictive gun laws.
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

I want/ need a firearm that dispenses a large volume of rounds to protect myself from other’s behavior, I do not feel a need to protect myself from another firearm - common sense regulates the person, not the object. Just as I find racism to be a fallacy - race means nothing to me, behavior is what defines others to me. It is all about behavior, the one thing that people own and have total control over but tend to deny it’s influence. We as a society have realized that we cannot regulate the behavior of the few no matter how many laws we make so, we then begin to regulate things as a substitute. It is now and has always been about behavior. Fix the behavior and all other arguments/ defenses / regulations are reduced to their innate silliness, an exercise in academia.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

I support the NRA.

I'm a Benefactor member and have been for quite some time.

I'll continue my support.

It's easy to rant and rave on the Interweb about our likes and dislikes concerning our personal and political opinions.

The NRA has been a hugely positive entity in the clubs I belong to, and has donated much money to further the shooting sports.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

You mean re-donated?
Bob Smith

Post by Bob Smith »

Steve Sudbeck wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:51 pm I want/ need a firearm that dispenses a large volume of rounds to protect myself from other’s behavior, I do not feel a need to protect myself from another firearm - common sense regulates the person, not the object. Just as I find racism to be a fallacy - race means nothing to me, behavior is what defines others to me. It is all about behavior, the one thing that people own and have total control over but tend to deny it’s influence. We as a society have realized that we cannot regulate the behavior of the few no matter how many laws we make so, we then begin to regulate things as a substitute. It is now and has always been about behavior. Fix the behavior and all other arguments/ defenses / regulations are reduced to their innate silliness, an exercise in academia.
Spot on Steve! Very well said. Heburnman is blaming the weapon and is way too far to the left for me. Bob
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

hepburnman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:49 pm We can continue to take the stance that we will fight any new gun laws, even though some of these make sense, such as nationwide I.D. checks before allowing gun purchases, limited amounts of purchases in a short amount of time, no gun sales at gun shows without this check, etc. Continued sale of large-capacity military-type (assault) weapons that have shown to be efficient in killing large numbers of people in very short events.

The non-budging stance on common-sense laws, that can also help protect us, will only lead to increased demand for more restrictive gun laws.
Jeeeze Louise, if that ain't the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. The only common sense gun law is no gun law! Gun laws only lead to more gun laws, which only further restricts the rights of the law abiding while the criminals continue on their merry way.

Marijuana is the perfect example. As long as I have been alive, it has been illegal to grow, possess, smoke, distribute, transport, or sell it. Did it stop anything? Not really. Those that don't care about the law never had a problem getting it. You actually think any criminal gives two hoots about making sure they have a background check? Maybe when they buy off the street corner, they will limit themselves to only one?? Magazines! There are so many million high capacity magazines out there, they will NEVER collect them all. It's pretty much like having yourself castrated because your neighbor down the street is a rapist.

You can stick your bullshit gun control agenda where the sun don't shine!
Cody
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

"QUOTE HEP MAN" We can continue to take the stance that we will fight any new gun laws, even though some of these make sense, such as nationwide I.D. checks before allowing gun purchases, limited amounts of purchases in a short amount of time, no gun sales at gun shows without this check, etc. Continued sale of large-capacity military-type (assault) weapons that have shown to be efficient in killing large numbers of people in very short events.

Hepburnman
This approach will not work. I don't own an "assault weapon" because my weapons are defensive only. I have been a Police officer my entire adult life. I was a narcotics detective for many years and worked on large , organized groups. It was all for nothing...drugs are MORE plentiful now than ever.
You want to know what will work? Take a lesson from the liberals play book and DECRIMINALIZE gun laws. Yep...if it works for heroin, it will work for guns.
Check the FBI stats on deaths...over 500 a year by FIST AND FEET ALONE! Want to eliminate thousands of deaths every year?? Make DRIVING DRUNK a felony with mandatory Prison.

I once had a very liberal student in college. He proudly announced very loudly that he was supporting Prz Obummer in outlawing all assault weapons. I told him I agreed, now give me a definition of ASSAULT WEAPON...he mumbled around and couldn't be more specific.
He KNEW I was in good shape , fought weekly and then I advised him " My pocket knife that says GRANPA on it is in my pocket. If I were truly evil, NO ONE would leave the classroom alive or without serious injury..unless one of my SEVERAL armed students shot me!
I converted many students that day.
NO MORE GUN LAWS..we have enough.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.