Action lube for a 1874 Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DAG4570

Action lube for a 1874 Sharps

Post by DAG4570 »

I have a quick question for those in the know. I have a 74 sharps and would like to know what kind of lube you use on the block after cleaning. Do you use oil or grease? Or do you just run it dry. I know from experience that a petroleum base lube and black powder fouling do not mix well. I know fouling doesn't get into the action like some other BP guns. What lube do you use?

Dave
bobw

Re: Action lube for a 1874 Sharps

Post by bobw »

Esox
bobw
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Paraffins wax, grease and oils are petroleum products that play well with BP. Paraffin wax was tried and recommended back in the Civil War, but you need to soften it a little to get what they had then. I’ve also used vasaline as a grease and it works too. That said, I use Ballistol on most everything now, except for bullet lube. For that I use SPG
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I am really liking the Lucas products. They have an extreme gun oil one that is pretty dang super.

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door- ... ty-gun-oil
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I also really like the Lucas Oil product for areas that need a friction-reducing lube. Too heavy for a bore oil, IMO; I still use Eezox for bore and rust protection.

Clarence
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Triflow. Been using it on guns for close to 15 years. Really makes the actions smooth.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

For the last few years I have been using the Montana X-Treme line of products sold by Western Powders in Miles City. This is due in large part to their generous support of our sport. I find their Cowboy X-Treme lead remover to be the best I have found and they have a very complete line of product including a grease for moving gun parts. Check them out here: https://www.westernpowders.com/index.ph ... ry&path=61
In looking up the link I discovered that Hodgdon has bought Western as of last October.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Thanks for all your help guys. I have been using Ballistol but was looking for something a little thicker like a grease that will stick to the parts. I have used Triflow years ago but kind of got away from it because of lack of supply. DeadEye, I will look into the Montana line and see what I think of it. Thanks all

Dave
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

For numerous years what I have been doing at the end of the shooting season, is drop the block and take it apart for a thorough cleaning and light interior lubrication of the firing pin, spring, etc. Assemble and with a hair dryer heat the receiver interior and the block exterior then apply a light coat of Bore Butter. The warm metal softens and absorbs the Bore Butter. I clean between rounds with water and sometimes it will flow onto the block and into the receiver. But since I have been doing the Bore Butter routine, there is no rust/residue on either part.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Just my 2 cents, stay away from grease and wax and stuff like that, all it does is collect gravel. I've seen more broken firing pins and transfer bars
through the years with this. Theses aren't muzzle loaders. Just make sure firing pin area is clean, and put a couple drops of lite oil, that's all it needs.
Couple drops on the lever roller, couple drops on the triggers so the pins don't rust and you'll be golden.
I've had guns come in that I have literally had to take brake clean after to get all of the wagon grease out, it's ridiculous!!
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Thank you Kurt!

I've been shooting Shiloh Sharpe rifles for over 40 years and originals for even longer. Never used anything on the action but light oil. No problems at all. The 1863 is a bit different, and I use a light coating of anti-sieze on the slides and under the gas seal. Can't imagine where the idea of "greasing" the cartridge rifles came from. Maybe that is the new wave for the spray and pray rifles. Grease them up so they don't work. We never used anything on the M-14 but a thin coat of lubriplate on the operating rod.

George
dsketcher

Post by dsketcher »

Clenzoil
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

George Babits wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:28 pm Thank you Kurt!

I've been shooting Shiloh Sharpe rifles for over 40 years and originals for even longer. Never used anything on the action but light oil. No problems at all. The 1863 is a bit different, and I use a light coating of anti-sieze on the slides and under the gas seal. Can't imagine where the idea of "greasing" the cartridge rifles came from. Maybe that is the new wave for the spray and pray rifles. Grease them up so they don't work. We never used anything on the M-14 but a thin coat of lubriplate on the operating rod.

George
Same with the M-1 when I was shooting one in Basic
back in the day.

Jim O
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I can just see a buffalo hunter who "greased" the slide on his sharps trying to get it to open at 0 degrees on the buffalo plains. Buffalo hunting, like beaver trapping, was mostly a winter game because that was when the fur was "prime." I keep my 45 auto slide dry, so it will work in the cold.

George