.36 cal Percussion Revolver

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

.36 cal Percussion Revolver

Post by Glen Ring »

I have wanted a 36 cal percussion revolver for a while.
If any of you have experience with one please make recommendations
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Kirk

Re: .36 cal Percussion Revolver

Post by Kirk »

51 navy colt, not an import!!!
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

There are a lot of options out there, the 2 big choices are a Cold pattern or a Remington. The 2 biggest manufacturers are Uberti and Pietta. Both make good stuff, I think that there is some size difference between the Uberti and the Pietta. But both have been around a long time and both make a good product.
Right now the bigger issue will be finding someone that has what you want in stock. Since most of this stuff is made in Italy and they have been virtually shut down for quite a while supply is a problem. I had a Pietta Rem .36 a while back and it was nice but had a rough bore in it so I passed it along to someone else. I have on of the little .31 Rem pocket revolvers also by Pietta and its nice, fun little thing. I have a Uberti Rem Carbine, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but as far as timing and finish goes its very good. It also has a much faster twist barrel on it than you usually see on these kind of weapons. I think they went to the faster twist to accommodate those that slip a conversion cylinder in to shoot .45 colt loads. They may also have done the same with the .36's.
Sam
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

What are you wanting exactly? Are you talking an original, or reproduction? Remington or Colt? Original would cost the most, then the 2nd generation Colts, then the Pietta or Uberti. I really like the 2nd gen. Colts above the Uberti or Pietta. You have the Remington in a .36, you have the Colt 1851 Navy, and the Colt 1861 in a .36. I like the looks of the 1851 Navy with the squared off trigger guard but it hurts my finger so I traded it off and got one with the rounded trigger guard. The 2nd gen. Colts are just polished to a higher standard, don't shoot any better. If you just want to shoot and have fun, take your pick, Remington or Colt, Uberti or Pietta, 1861 round barrel, or 1851 octagon barrel with round or square trigger guard. Some people like the Pietta better, some like the Uberti better, I've owned both, doesn't matter to me.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Years ago I had a Colt 2nd Gen 51 Navy. Fun gun. I also had a Uberti. Not so fun. Fit and finish did not come close to Colt. I've had an original Remington Army. It shot great but 18 inches high at 25 yards. I currently have a Colt Signature Series Dragoon. The gun is too heavy but a very good shooter. The Colt's will cost you a little more, have better finish, and important to me, no import proofs and marks.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have and like a lot a 62 police from Navy Arms which is really a Uberti. Mine needed some work as it had some cycling issues but is fine now. They are small five shooters in . 36 cal but shoot like a big gun and are very fun to use. Like most early Italian remakes the cylinders need reamed out to better fit the grooves but with some hand work the making of good accurate shooter is present in them.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I understand the second generation and signature Colt models are Uberti castings assembled by Colt to their standards of fit and finish. I would think the steel is certainly better than is in the originals.
MLV

Post by MLV »

I like the 2nd Gen ‘61 Navy best. It has a roomier round trigger guard. The square back ‘51 Navy seems crowded to me. I definitely prefer the 2nd Gen Colt cap and ball ones to others but I’ve never tried the Remingtons.
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
MLV

Post by MLV »

The 2nd Gen Colts were Uberti parts fitted and finished by the Iver Johnson outfit when they were in Atkansas.
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Orville

Post by Orville »

As Kirk says get a colt I’ve picked up several at gun shows new in the box.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Thanks everyone...now another dumb question because I have NO experience in the area....Do 36 colts shoot a .375 round ball?
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
MLV

Post by MLV »

Yes.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Check your local pawn shops. I have picked up three boxed 2nd gen colts in them for a fair price because they did not sell to the plastic gun crowd.
kw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

After slugging the barrel on the 62 police I reamed the chamber mouths to fit the grooves and moved up to .380 diameter balls. Most .36 cal use .375 balls though. I have three now ,two being Yazel patched ball target pistols one in flint and percussion. Both the Yazel's like .375 balls with a .018 patch.
I was glad to get them both as Harold Yazel was right near the end of his gun making career and I don't know if his son Mike kept the business going.
His guns hold quite a few records at Friendship I've heard tell so if you can snag one they are a real shooter and some day will be valuable collectors I'm thinking.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I still want a Colt 51 model though to round out the 58 Rem and 60 Colt clones I have. The early Pietta's were kind of rough as were the Uberti's made for Navy Arms but in the last few years the Pietta's are the equal of and some times better than the Uberti's and for less money usually. I have found that all of them can be tuned up to shoot really well with some elbow grease and tweaks to make them respond.