Gemmer Trapdoor

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Gemmer Trapdoor

Post by mdeland »

NIce looking rifle! I do love the Rollers! Spectacular stock , must be tiger stripe maple?
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

mdeland wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:00 pm I'm getting enthused about this deal as soon as I complete this Cadet trapdoor as I have been wanting a 50-70 anyway and a Gemmer build will be just the ticket I'm looking for me thinks. I need to start looking for another trapdoor action.
I'll have to do some thinking on Johns comment about how every one wants a octagon trapdoor Gemmer. I do like octagon barrels though. :lol:
Just browse the E-Bay there is generally a number of locks complete, the breech complete early and late some receivers and most other parts off and on and once in a while some NOS parts. Barrels and stocks too and rear sites of all flavors. 8) :roll:

Jim O
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

I love gemmer trapdoors too bad some company doesn’t remake them.I m currently thinking on buying one of Pedersoli s officer trapdoors for hunting
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
bushwacker2

Post by bushwacker2 »

Don't forget a fly for the lock if you are installing set triggers, and lighten the hammer spring.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I would like to have a Rolling Block Gemmer with the Carlos Gove under lever
2E61C604-CBA7-4D8F-820A-46684F217A06.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Real gun powder is black.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

I used the Hawken lock that came with the stock, it already had the fly and the double set trigger setup. Just had to modify the hammer from percussion.
Tom
axman

Post by axman »

Shiloh did make a Gemmer.
I have one.
It’s a Bryan gun.
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Somewhere around here I have a picture of a Spencer that Gemmer did his Hawkenization to. Quite interesting to say the least.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Here's how I did the tang sight on the one I did. It is a steel bar machined to go under the rear of the tang. The tang screw and tang hold it in place in front and a screw in back. The tang sight is for a Sharps as the grip angle is very close to the same.
trapdoor tang sight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Or the Scandinavian roller version
H33rs.jpg
:
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

John,
Is that a Springfield trigger guard and lock on your Gemmer?
Tom
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm wondering , does a 73 or later trapdoor action need any modification to handle the rim diameter of the 50-70 case? Guess I better get a reamer headed this way as well.
The other thing is deciding on a full or half stock Hawken style. I'm, also wondering if I need two barrel keys on a half stock. I don't really like dove tail cuts in a barrel near the chamber area but could easily sweat on a key loop with silver solder.
I'm thinking I will modify the trapdoor tang but don't really see the need for a hooked breech.
I like your tang extension John for the rear sight !
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

mdeland,
I silver soldered the barrel keys
When I made mine I tried to keep it as authentic as possible that’s why I did the extra work.
Tom
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Dovetail cuts for barrel keys are just fine. They really need to be no more than .030” deep. A little soft solder added to the mix adds to their strength. I make my key tenons from .032” sheet stock.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Would it be possible to see a top view of your tang set up Tom ?