After 26 years I finally bought a place in line today

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bohemianway

After 26 years I finally bought a place in line today

Post by bohemianway »

Now only hoping that in 18 - 22 months Shiloh, me, and shooting supplies are all still around. I really want a military rifle, Schuetzen, and 25lb 50-90 and maybe they will be making one of those when my number is called. But if not, a Harford, military butt, 32" heavy Oct., 40-50BN, semi-buckhorn-blade, hand select dark straight grain w/no knots is what I listed. And, yes it is almost the quintessential, Hartford except for 44-77 (no brass, may change if available) and 26" (for early sporting 40-50bn) but I can't help myself to get a longer than standard Bbl and the 34" is a bit too long. This will be my first custom ordered Shiloh. The current inventory is 1863 .54 Military, Early 45-70 carbine (SN 100x), Hartford 45/70 (Quigley w/o initials & sporting tang), Saddle rifle 45-90, Business 45-120, 1863 .54 carbine. So I don't need another but like some people and their Harleys I have to get one as I envisioned.

Charles
Chief Beck

Re: After 26 years I finally bought a place in line today

Post by Chief Beck »

Bohemian,

That rifle you spected out will be a real gopher killer for sure! I wouldn't mind having a .40-50 BN myself, though I would have gone with a 28" barrel and added bone/charcoal case colors to really set it off, more traditional too.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I agree on the 28" as being more original and probably the best balanced for the Sharps and may reconsider as time passes. As for B&C the difference does not seem justified since the hues are very similar and just the mottling is different and since I have no illusion that this is a real Sharps I will pass. Also, if you load up on a few options you are at a price point to simply buy an original (that market has dropped over the years). I just want a Hartford in a light caliber like several of my originals which are 30" (44-77) at just over 13lbs (Shiloh Heavy is not quite that big) so that is also part of the 32" thought. Any heavier and it becomes a bench gun and I know that a 16lb 50-90 still packs a recoil that I do not enjoy. In the end I may simple go a #1 SB 30" in 40-50BN with the plan to restock as a Schuetzen when the mood moves me.

Time will tell,
Charles
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

If you go with 40-50 SBN where do get dies at ? I have a 1877 coming up in the not to distant future and want to do a 40-50 SBN . Any Shiloh you order is a special rifle for a special feel. RCC brass will make 40-50 SBN and 40-70SS ,not cheap @ $5.00 + a piece, min. of 50,looks to be nice brass.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Congratulations!
Limber Up!
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Thanks,

Right now Pacifictoolandgauge has 40-50 SBN finish reamers for $60 which I already have one so making a die should be straight forward if I cannot find a set. BY the time I get the rifle things should have opened up and maybe Starline will be making it (haha).

Charles