Fake names/profiles on facebook

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Re: Fake names/profiles on facebook

Post by Glen Ring »

David
I need to have more questions I guess on our facebook shooting page. If you don't mind, message me some examples of questions that catch the weirdos. I guess I need to up my game. The fake accounts are usually easy to spot and they are deleted and blocked by us.
The fake accounts that have scammed pics from the interweb are kinda creepy and make me question the mental stability and intent of the originator.

Kenny
Most of us poor Oklahoma kids had nicknames growing up. In my former profession I worked a lot of Gang Members and they all had monikers. When I was a 21 year old Patrol Officer I was straight from the country , talked like I was raised and was very good with a handgun...so the guys referred to me as "Ringo'..nothing wrong with any of that. The creepy part comes to play when folks use scammed pics, and names of other folks. Nickname and Alias have two completely different meanings for me.

The internet is amazing, when used properly. We can stay in touch with folks MUCH easier, but the down side are the stalkers ( who use fake names and profiles ) and the criminals that use it for scams and attacking children.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
drcook

Post by drcook »

A recent scam involves people swiping pictures off of an account and using them to set up a "look alike" account. One that "looks" like the account that would belong to one of your "Facebook friends". It almost will look legimate. They then use these accounts to try and get you to click a link or to text a number. Either will grant them access to your device or a way to bill you, etc.

I ran into one of these rogue accounts last night. The fake account sent me a private message dangling a monetary award as bait. It didn't pass the smell taste so I contacted the person and asked if they were online. Once I 100% verified it was a fake account I replied back to the people I knew it was fake and that I was contacting Facebook. Whomever it was immediately got out of the account (you can tell when an account is active, there is a green indicator that shows up on a computer).

I notified Facebook who deleted the account and the messages that originated from it.

These attempts are geared toward the gullible and the greedy, much like the Nigerian prince scam.

You all need to inform your family members how these scams work and if it smells fishy it is.
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

True
Especially young kids on the interweb. Anytime an old guy gets a FR from a hot young girl it's fake..like the Nigerian Prince.

I had a bud that was older than me and single. He told me one day how the internet made meeting hot, young women easy and that he had racy conversations with several. He showed me the pics on his machine.
I hated to inform him that the person talking sex on the other end was probably a fat, bearded drunk fellow playing with himself. My bud paused and showed me the pics again and didn't believe me. I told him to set up a live chat and that was that...the beautiful pics and that account were GONE.

I LOVE getting those fake requests sometimes . After I have identified who they are, I call their mom bad names and that account usually vanishes also.
Fun with frauds !!
bobw

Post by bobw »

kwilliams wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:14 pm I don't and never will have a face book page. The internet suffices nicely and I Will not support Zuckerberg.
kw
Ditto bobw
bobw
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Bobw
I sometimes go for a few weeks w/o looking at my facebook page...but it's so easy to yak with friends on I come right back to it. Like any internet product with convenience comes the weirdos that use fake names and fake profiles. Like mail, e-mail, etc..
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I use FB daily, keep in touch with my kids, and my grandchildren activities. Also I have family in Bavaria and Austria that I can keep I contact with, impossible before. Friends from Germany, South Africa, Isle of Jersey, England, France, Australia. All these were possible through FB. I hate the anti conservative bias, and get a 30 ban occasionally for speaking out against the communist party, and Islam. Still I enjoy it, and my large shooting USA family that are in Facebook. I visit with various big name shooters often, and seek to learn.

I own and moderate the 22 BPCRA page daily, with help from Don MCDowell, and John Gage. Plus my own Sharps Rifles page, and a Ural motorcycle page, and several others.

It’s not for everyone, lots of good information on the various forums, also some real asses that do no credit to the sport, handing out bad advice like free popcorn. Avoid them like the plague. Btw Glen this not any insinuating towards you, so don’t take it as such.

Folks that give out bad advice to many new shooters are a incredible disservice too our sport. I tend to be rather heavy handed with them, and I make no apologies, for my treatment of such.

I seek to learn every single day of my life, I read tons of books, for research in my novels and also fit the joy of learning. Those that voice the loudest and most vehemently, remind me of an old adage those that are most ignorant are often the most loudest.

Kenny Wasserburger

I learned that dual diameter bullets in a Standard Shiloh chamber are tack driving Sobs, yesterday. Today I cast a bunch more.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:50 pm I seek to learn every single day of my life
“Live as if you will die tomorrow, learn as if you will live forever.”

That’s a famous quote by someone a lot smarter than I.
Ghandi I think.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Facebook is one of the greatest tools ever for communicating.

I have found that one needs to be well balanced with opinion. Liberals and conservatives both have a voice and I have friends on both sides of the argument.

We can all learn something from Sages and fools, because Even a fool can give good advice sometimes. BTW Kenny, this is not any insinuation towards you, so don't take it as such.

Everyone have a nice day xoxoxoxoxox
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Have any of you used whats app? I use it all the time to converse with my friend in Peru it's very easy and you can send pictures and text back and forth like a phone call.
I just use Facebook to monitor things of interest to me mostly drag racing I used to race a 68 Hemi Cuda Super Stock AA which are now the SS/AH class I had one of the original 50 cars, and steam engines UP's Big Boy and 844, :roll: and some friends from the LEGO club.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

alfajam

I have a flip phone..no apps, no texting..just a tool for calling 911 if I've fallen and can't get back up.

68 Hemi Cuda...Now THAT is cool, very cool!!

Jeanne and I stared dating in 75 and all the hot rods were from the golden era...mid to late 60's.

Jeanne was a sweet little country girl and I had an afro with elephant bell pants and a 69 chevelle. Our first date was going outside of the city limits
and I was the flag man on MANY drag races. I miss those times and those cars.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

There are several recent articles last day or two of facebook being hacked and well over 500 million user names and personal info being leaked.
Keith Lay
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

500 Million...That's a lot of folks being very busy with bad intent.
Anything on the old interweb is capable of turning up somewhere else.
Some folks mistakenly think typing whatever they want is safe on a closed group forum...it is not.

I don't know how many times I have tried to caution people about typing things like " They'll have to pry my guns out of my cold hands"...or something like that. That kind of "talk" can possibly be entered into a data bank to alarm law enforcement.

Jeanne and I grew up in the court room and we have an old saying." never type a message you would feel uncomfortable reading to a jury in a court room."

Some scammers and some outwardly appearing normal folks make fake profiles on facebook to commit criminal acts or their intent is to do harm in what they think is a surreptitious persona. They are usually easily discovered.

I guess we all have to weigh the risks vs returns of social media.
dbm

Post by dbm »

Glen Ring wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 am David - I need to have more questions I guess on our facebook shooting page. If you don't mind, message me some examples of questions that catch the weirdos.
Glen, sorry for possible confusion - the questions relate to membership of Groups. For my Whitworth Rifle group for example is a simple “What is your interest in the Whitworth rifle and/or artillery?” that and prospective members need to agree to the group rules. Oh, and I look at profiles.

I manage four pages and I am not sure there’s anything can be done about controlling who Likes / Follows a page, other than banning them.

Like others here, I use Facebook on a daily basis to keep in touch with family and friends, share news and information and learn from others. It’s been a great tool for promoting my historical interest in study and shooting black powder rifles, and put me in touch with people whom I have learnt a lot from.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
dbm

Post by dbm »

Fake names, by the way, isn’t a Facebook exclusive issue. I’ve managed email lists and web site forums over 20 years and each get spammers trying to join promote their own interests. Much has changed over the years in the media used for people to share common interests, and today social media is the most popular. All platforms suffer from others trying to access them for their own advantage. As here, with good admin members will seldom see these ‘attacks’ or realise how much work goes on in the background to keep Forums from being overrun by spammers.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history