.44 cal #2 rolling block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ndnchf

.44 cal #2 rolling block

Post by ndnchf »

This is a very early example of the #2 Remington rolling block from the 1870s chambered in .44 rimfire.

It has since been converted to centerfire. With a 218gr heel bullet over 23gr of Old E. 3F, it runs at 1124fps. Not bad at all for a lightweight rifle, and not too shy of Winchester's new 44 WCF cartridge. The caliber marking is pretty vague - "44", that's all. BTW, the centerfire version is nearly identical to the .44 S&W cartridge. Coincidence ? I don't think so...

I have Bernie Rowles 44 S&W American heel bullet mold and it shoots well. But the rifle really likes the Lyman 427098 bullet (the classic .44 wcf bullet). I cut a .412" diameter heel on them on the lathe.

Here is a short video I made about lathe turning the heel.

https://youtu.be/ziw5hcccEg4

Brass is .41 magnum shortened to .965". Bernie's heel bullet collet crimp die is used to crimp them in place.

It's a fun little rifle to shoot, and surprisingly powerful for its size. My aging eyes and barrel sights don't let me shoot very well. But when I do my part, it does very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
bpcr shooter

Re: .44 cal #2 rolling block

Post by bpcr shooter »

Nice video!! and nice old rifle, looks like a fun project!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

IIRC the original Lyman Ideal Mould for the 44-40 WCF was/is #424098 with the 427098 being for later to current Colt 1873's in 44-40
The 1875 Remington Revolver for instance is from that earlier era.
Imagine what trying to shoot .429 or .430 diameter bullets would do to the forcing cone or maybe even current jacketed factory bullets for 44-40?
So, wondering what the groove diameter measurement on this rifle currently is?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Yes, good point about the smaller original bullets. That was the Ideal 42498 mold. My 427098 drops them at .4295" in 30-1 alloy. Groove diameter of this rifle is .4295" - .430". The cataract in my right eye make a clear sight picture with barrel sights all but impossible. But when I can get a clear view. It does quite well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Yes, good point about the smaller original bullets. That was the Ideal 42498 mold. My 427098 drops them at .4295" in 30-1 alloy. Groove diameter of this rifle is .4295" - .430". The cataract in my right eye make a clear sight picture with barrel sights all but impossible. But when I can get a clear view. It does quite well.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice video and thanks for all the effort to make and post an interesting thread. I was thinking you might want to give some thought to picking up some under size mold blocks at a gun show for next to nothing, setting them up in your four jaw chuck and cutting a new mold cavity for your preferred heeled bullet.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I may try that. I've never bored a mold before, so it would be a learning experience. It would be nice to have 2 lube grooves.

I've been experimenting with an old time factory heel bullet lube.  The bullets are dipped in the lube after loading. This lube was recounted in an interview with a retired ammunition factory worker in a 1943 issue of The American Rifleman.  It is 1 part paraffin, 1 part mutton tallow, 1/2 part beeswax. It dries to a non-sticky coating, yet is soft enough to chamber without interference.  So far, I'm very happy with its performance with both smokeless and black powder.  The bore stays quite clean and I get a nice lube star at the muzzle.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I may try that. I've never bored a mold before, so it would be a learning experience. It would be nice to have 2 lube grooves.

I've been experimenting with an old time factory heel bullet lube.  The bullets are dipped in the lube after loading. This lube was recounted in an interview with a retired ammunition factory worker in a 1943 issue of The American Rifleman.  It is 1 part paraffin, 1 part mutton tallow, 1/2 part beeswax. It dries to a non-sticky coating, yet is soft enough to chamber without interference.  So far, I'm very happy with its performance with both smokeless and black powder.  The bore stays quite clean and I get a nice lube star at the muzzle.