.43 Spanish Brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

LazyM

.43 Spanish Brass

Post by LazyM »

Can .43 Spanish brass be made from 11.5 x 57R Spanish Reformado brass? I see Buffalo Arms has the latter, and I, naturally, need the former.
Don McDowell

Re: .43 Spanish Brass

Post by Don McDowell »

Should be close enough that at quick trip thru the size die and fireforming what get the rifle up and running
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mdeland

Re: .43 Spanish Brass

Post by mdeland »

I saw a Refermando case today and from what I see there is no easy way short of lathe work to make .43 Spanish out of it. My guess is the ones from Buffalo Arms are made from .348 cases but don't know for sure.
The head is about .009 wider diameter and there is a belt like step just in front of the rim on the case body from the one I saw today , a loaded factory cartridge. The head diameter of .43 Spanish is .516 and the Refermando is .525.
I make my .43 Spanish out of .348 cases , some from Hornady and I just picked up a 100 from Winchester. They have to have the base of the case lathe turned over the web area and they tend to break sizing dies while forming. I busted two Lee sizing dies until I learned to reinforce them with a steel ring swaged around the base of the die.
They also come out short but work well after fire forming. I may nibb them out to full length at some point but they shoot so well now in my roller I hate to mess with whats working.