SteveA

Re: barrel torque direction

Post by SteveA »

You were obviously doing it wrong. :D
Steve
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I guess I should have told the 3 people that watched my rifle while I shot it 3 times, you're an idiot, stand there and believe your lying eyes. :lol: The bottom part of the stock may have torqued to the left but the scope mounted on that rifle went to the right, so did the top of the stock. Say what you want, Vern and I know what happens when the powder goes off. The bullet can't climb in the barrel, it would if the top of the barrel was open, it would walk right up the lands and out of there. So it pushes on the rifling in the barrel. On a right hand twist barrel the top of the bullet is pushing those lands to the right, the bottom of the bullet is pushing those lands to the left as it turns, the rifle torques to the right. Cody is right, this has been fun. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Perhaps clockwise and counter-clockwise is better than 'left' or 'right'. :idea: As the barrel torques/ twists to the right or left... it stands to reason that the lowest point ( ie. the stock ), being an extension of the axis or 'pivot point', will be correspondingly turning in an arc of sorts, to the left or right. I'm not reducing myself to equations and calculations ..too far above my paygrade. :wink:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

Comparing a drag car doing wheel stands to the torque direction of a rifle.....Yeah,...Nah.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Dan,

My friend yeah, me neither.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
semtav

Post by semtav »

I honestly don't know, and hope to find out the next time I fire my 110, but I got to wondering.

What do you do about it?? Do you try to stop it, or just allow it to do the same every time.

I know which way the rifle is gonna kick, but when I over control it, its called shouldering and that doesn't seem to work.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

There are a couple of routes to take to control torque that I'm familiar with .
One of the main is a pistol grip. This not only helps with torque control but also trigger control.
Another is stock drop because of the better leverage to counter it.
A third, believe it or not, is a check piece even when on the wrong side because it supports a solid check weld to the stock.
A fourth is stock cast and pitch which enhances leverage, posture, and consistency.
The last I can think of is just weight/mass of the rifle.
I believe torque effects our sport more than some others because of the heavy bullet weights we use and the fact that it is illegal to toe dig the stocks into the ground in prone, which I believe is a huge advantage in torque control.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I just watched Ricks video with the 110 and there isn't much question of torque direction there! Right hand twist , right hand torque.
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

semtav wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:10 am I honestly don't know, and hope to find out the next time I fire my 110, but I got to wondering.

What do you do about it?? Do you try to stop it, or just allow it to do the same every time.

I know which way the rifle is gonna kick, but when I over control it, its called shouldering and that doesn't seem to work.
Semtav,

I found with the 110 in the video that I needed to give it the tightest grip that I could, made an amazing difference on the target. I also have a Shiloh Rough Rider in a .45 2-7/8". It has a pistol grip and a 30" heavy octagon barrel. It has Orville's tight chamber and the gentle throat/leade. That is one of my better offhand shooting guns. The pistol grip does help on torque control. At 200 yards with barrel sights I can usually keep them in the heart offhand with that gun. On sticks it is usually minute of heart out to 400 yards with barrel sights. BobW and Orville gave me good info on those guns.

Rick
SHCB1
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

This makes me wonder why all the barrels are not left hand rifled since most shooters are right handed.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Just thinking about it. Considering a right twist and shooting 1000 yds, very seldom is my cheek glued to the stock because i don't have a high enough cheek piece. So having it torque into my hand would be better than having it torque away from my hand.

Something Ill pay attention to from now on.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I know the theory is somewhere in my memory but it is no longer retrievable. ( An acquired brain injury scrambles my recall, makes life fun! )
Anyway, if anyone wants to do an experiment, try getting a bicycle wheel, put the axle in a drill chuck, spin the axle and watch which way the rim goes, I think that will work? With a reversible drill, you can test both right and left twist. :wink:
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I was looking at the Shiloh website video labeled Outfittersguide TV.. at 3:30 in you can clearly see it rotate Counterclockwise before the reaction into the shooters shoulder.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Years ago I was ordering a gain-twist barrel from Ron Smith. It was for a 38-72. We settled on a 22 to 11 twist ratio. He said I should consider a left hand twist, since the faster the twist, the more torque you will experience. I had never considered this in the past. True to form, he was right on. The torque was definitely into my cheek and helped in my follow through. The slower the twist, the less torque you will encounter. My latest RS left hand gain-twist barrel in .22 Cal CPA shoots lights out..... FWIW.............
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

My. I have 3 45-70s with 16 twists. If I don’t have a firm purchase on the pistol grip and have the rifles somewhat pulled into my shoulder while either shooting from the sticks or off hand I get fliers. I always assumed that was from torque.