Basic Reloading Question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GSmith

Basic Reloading Question

Post by GSmith »

Have a lot of experience with reloading shotgun loads but only have knowledge with what I have read about blackpowder cartridge reloading. I am working on piecing together all I need to reload while the rifle is being built. Seems all venders are out-of-stock. My question is with all the dies available which should I choose (I will be using the RCBS Rebel press). Will only have one rifle that will be firing these loads so as I understand I don't have to resize the cases each time.

Sorry for the basic question but need to learn.

Glenn
mdeland

Re: Basic Reloading Question

Post by mdeland »

Welcome , I have used Lyman and RCBS dies for most things. I also have converted standard seating dies into compression dies . A special flat nose plug usually has to be turned for compression in leu of the seating plug in a standard die.
We all have been where you are and learned the same way so don't be afraid to ask questions. It's smarter and cheaper by far than doing it by trial and error.
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Tell us more about your rifle like who's building it, what caliber, which barrel, and what you plan to use it for. It will be fun!
GSmith

Post by GSmith »

The rifle is a Shiloh 1874 Creedmoor Target Rifle with a 34" barrel in 45-70. Plan to enjoy it and maybe get into competitive shooting.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

What sights are you getting?
GSmith

Post by GSmith »

The sights are from Montana Vintage Arms. Long-Range Buffalo and Spirit level non-windage on the front.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

RCBS, Lyman or Redding dies, and get a powder compression die from Shiloh.
Might check and see if Shiloh has a set of dies in stock.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

The MVA #111 front sight has the aperature spring clip on top and have found they catch on everything inside a case or a sack up and sit taller in their dovetail . The MVA #115-16 uses a clip on the bottom with nothing to catch on and sits a bit lower in the dovetail and has a better look to me ,both have levels available but are not compatible same with aperatures. It took me a while to finally order one of the #115’s and I sure like them better than the #111’s and have been changing out my #111’s for the #115’-16’s .
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

FYI, If you plan to shoot BPCR "silly wet" there is a weight limit. A 34 inch barrel will most likely be over weight. Check with Shiloh to find out for sure.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Personally, I would go with a 30 inch barrel for your 45-70. Should make weight
and you will likely have fewer issues with barrel fouling
beltfed/arnie
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Don McDowell wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:59 pm RCBS, Lyman or Redding dies, and get a powder compression die from Shiloh.
Might check and see if Shiloh has a set of dies in stock.
Yeah, what Don said :-). Except I don't like the Redding dies I have for my .45-70. Mine really work the neck and size it down too much.

I like the RCBS dies the most. Not the Cowboy ones. Those look nice but I like the lock rings on the plain RCBS dies.

Chris.
GSmith

Post by GSmith »

Thanks to all for the advice. Have looked at the RCBS dies and have a "notice when in stock". Also will be re-examining the barrel length issue.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I seem to recall, believe it or not, that Redding offers two different sets of 45-70 dies.
Essentially, one for smokeless loading and the other for black powder. Can't find my Redding Catalog at the moment.
Of course dies for smokeless would impart smaller/tighter necks for more bullet tension and function through tubular magazines.

Two different product numbers.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:29 pm I seem to recall, believe it or not, that Redding offers two different sets of 45-70 dies.
Essentially, one for smokeless loading and the other for black powder. Can't find my Redding Catalog at the moment.
Of course dies for smokeless would impart smaller/tighter necks for more bullet tension and function through tubular magazines.

Two different product numbers.
I had no idea Zack. That would explain it. My dies nearly turn the .45-70 into a bottleneck :-)

Chris.