Elevation

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Elevation

Post by semtav »

Since i was in less than an ambitious mood this afternoon, i was doing a bunch of reading on the testing of the old days, some written by Kenny and some from the ODGs.

Got to thinking about how we always test for group size , but what if we tested strictly for elevation.

Take the NRA sized target, and instead of concentric circles, just.put horizontal lines 6" or 1' apart and score yourself on how well your load holds vertical.

I might put a gong up this summer at work and do all my
40-82 testing that way.
desert deuce

Re: Elevation

Post by desert deuce »

Cork pin board does the same thing if shooting a paper target. More or less could be done on a gong also.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thats true.
But for actual scoring, and to better see what effect wind changes have on elevation, might be easier to see it visually, With actual lines.

Had plans of setting up a 600 yd gong at work this summer, so ill see how it works out
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Now you see right there using the three words gong, shooting and work in the same sentence is just something I can't comprehend. How can this be? :? :? :? Just kidding Brian, I'm just jealous.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Paul, some of us are just lucky, have two 900 yd. targets and a 1000 right out my back door. Heard the 21st of May might be an opening day for the Border........but then heard case counts are rising in parts of Canada?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

charlie young wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:32 am Paul, some of us are just lucky, have two 900 yd. targets and a 1000 right out my back door. Heard the 21st of May might be an opening day for the Border........but then heard case counts are rising in parts of Canada?
They are going up where I live in B.C. We are under tighter travel restrictions now which prevents me from getting to a range where I can shoot past 300. I've been playing with my schuetzen rifles instead of my Shilohs for the most part. I'll bet you guys don't end up opening your northern border for a few months yet,

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I've had a good bit of luck along the way myself Charlie but it doesn't include shooting out my back door and until this virus came along it wasn't really that big a deal. As to the border first I heard June 21st and then 'no' that was wrong it was May 21st. What I do know is that none of it seems to be working. Regina is a hot spot right now for sure. I had to go to town the other day, first time in months, and they have big illuminated signs on the highway warning you to stay away. Of course the longer it goes on the more antsy people get and some kick over the traces and away it goes again. I think I'll start referring to the house as a 'bunker' because that's what it has become. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You stay well, Paul
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, because the border is closed we thought we might make a trip West this summer. Our oldest son lives in Kelowna, our grandson in Vancouver and one of our oldest and best friends just moved to the Island so it would make a nice trip. I also checked and saw that all the matches at Hefley Creek have been cancelled. That would have been the icing on the cake. Now I see that Horgan has shut down BC to the people that live there so us 'foreigners' sure as heck aren't welcome. I'm afraid all bets are off for this summer.

Paul
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Paul, are vaccinations readily available? Most all of us "old" timers around here have received the vaccine or at least have the opportunity. I believe most have decided to get it. Now it's available to everyone, but my son's and grand daughters are not so gung ho. 4 of my Grandkids and step grandkids got the virus, with only mild symptoms, all in their 20's. Schools have been open since August, and if a person shut off the TV and radio, we wouldn't really know about all the BS. We pretty much have lived lives as normal, especially after the 1st of the year. Wish you folks the best.

Charlie
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Charlie, we received our first shot of Moderna on March 22nd. There is no indication as to when we might get the second due to number of factors. It has been reported that they are having production problems. While I am not an 'anti-vaccer' I have read a lot and I have serious reservations about all of this. Let me put it this way, our daughter works in emergency admissions at a large hospital and she has chosen to wait based on what she has learned. I went ahead with it for two reasons, one to put Spot's mind at ease and two to be able to cross the border if it opens as I believe some sort of passport will be in effect. Schools here have been open then shut then open, it's kind of like the tide. I believe our politicians are doing their best but I also believe non of them have the knowledge to deal with this. That's a nice way of saying they haven't got a clue what they're doing. 'Let's try this, oops that didn't work, well let's try this then.' And so it goes. Life is not normal here. Population here is 700 with no reported cases although there were some on the local reservations which means it could come to us anytime. We are surrounded by five Reserves. We are not allowed to shop anywhere without a mask. Non essential travel is strongly advised against. Having friends over for supper will get you a $2000 ticket. No, it's not normal. They have not shut down the campgrounds and we are hoping to go camping next week just to get out of the 'bunker'.

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:57 am Chris, because the border is closed we thought we might make a trip West this summer. Our oldest son lives in Kelowna, our grandson in Vancouver and one of our oldest and best friends just moved to the Island so it would make a nice trip. I also checked and saw that all the matches at Hefley Creek have been cancelled. That would have been the icing on the cake. Now I see that Horgan has shut down BC to the people that live there so us 'foreigners' sure as heck aren't welcome. I'm afraid all bets are off for this summer.

Paul
Yeah there is not much going on here. We aren't supposed to go east of Hope so even if Heffley was going to happen I'd be risking a big fine to get there :-). I've been having fun with the .32-40's and .38-55's recently at least. I have a CPA that I've hardly shot. That thing is super accurate!

My wife is in line right now to get her AZ vaccine. I get mine just after lunch time.

Chris.
semtav

Post by semtav »

DeadEye wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:00 am Now you see right there using the three words gong, shooting and work in the same sentence is just something I can't comprehend. How can this be? :? :? :? Just kidding Brian, I'm just jealous.

Paul

Well Paul, they way the weather has been the last couple years. Being at work, and actually working aren't synonymous. So playing is the best option!!