Midwest BPCR championship Alliance won with a .45-110 PP

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sandhillcowboy1

Midwest BPCR championship Alliance won with a .45-110 PP

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

Congrats to Dick Savage who won the aggregate match at Alliance this past weekend using his .45-110 shooting PP bullets
. His score on the Long Range shot from sitting position was a 40-48 in some nasty winds from what I hear. I know his rifle well as I had it for several years, a really good shooter. But it has a 1 1/2 heavy 34 inch barrel that I could not offhand, I don't know how Dick does it. Dick has been my mentor for a lot of years and the first thing he told me was that he would show me the way he does things and that it was not the only way to do it, and what works for one person may not work for the next. Really good advice.

I have been following the various threads on the .45-110's re: chambers, bullets, gentle leades, etc. with interest. My other 110 has a Loomer tight chamber with gentle leade as well. Dick uses a softer alloy in PP MB than most do and the rifle has been reamed with one of Kurt's reamers to a shallow leade. Dick has been doing very well the past few years shooting that rifle and has won two state matches with it this year already.

If you know Dick well you would also know he has a genetic tremor that causes his hands to shake especially when cold, yet he managed a 5-8 on the bucket offhand at the last Q with this same rifle.

Bottom line there are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat and get good results.

Congrats also to fellow Nebraskan Steve Teadtke for taking runner up at the match.

Rick
SHCB1
J.B.

Re: Midwest BPCR championship Alliance won with a .45-110 PP

Post by J.B. »

Congratulations indeed. Always there with a smile, a helping hand and good advice, whenever I've had the privilege to catch up. Well done Dick.

rgds. Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

Shot next to Dick and Steve. The wind on Saturday was definitely challenging. They both shot exceptionally well. Congratulations to both of them.
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

JeffFaldo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:51 am Shot next to Dick and Steve. The wind on Saturday was definitely challenging. They both shot exceptionally well. Congratulations to both of them.
Jeff, I had planned on being there but in between eye surgery to remove cataracts, so I can see the target again :) Hopefully will be ready for Sagebrush.

Rick
SHCB1
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Nice shooting Dick! I guess diapers work :lol: See you in a month. :D
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I think that is very cool and congratulations to the winner, especially with PP bullets. It still makes me chuckle though that a win with PP bullets makes head lines but a win with the lowly GG bullet barely raises a collective yawn ! :lol: I like and shoot both by the way,
semtav

Post by semtav »

mdeland wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:48 pm It still makes me chuckle though that a win with PP bullets makes head lines but a win with the lowly GG bullet barely raises a collective yawn ! :lol: I like and shoot both by the way,
I seem to remember a lot of ooohs and aaahs when aviator won with GG down in AZ a couple months back.
but then everyone shot GG so that fact alone shouldn't have even raised a blip on the radar !!

I think it is only that so many say it can't be done is why it gets headlines
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

for a long time now, guys have said "look at the statistics"
what they meant was that statistically gg bullets were doing most of the winning.
this became self feeding to the extent that few were game enough to try pp, and even fewer were prepared to do the little bit of homework necessary to make them work.
now there are guys prepared to go the yard, and we are seeing good results above the stats for gg where done properly.
to do it properly might require avoiding the beer and chips culture for a short amount of time.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That and the undeniable COOL factor of PP bullets. They are the best looking pills in existence, "hands down" ! :lol:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Sheecheezhh, boy did this thread just become ripe for commentary. :mrgreen: Where to begin?

WEBSTERS: Bias Confirmation, the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

And I will add, "Whether pertinent to the subject or not. Beliefs and theories fall short of facts" :wink: Hence, bias.

The tools of a carpenter are a hammer, nails, square, hand saw etc. I own all of these, as do most, yet I make no claim to being a carpenter. However, lay those articles out on the deck and nothing happens until the human picks them up and then we find out whether or not they are a carpenter.

Same goes for match shooting, whether target, silhouette or gongs. Scope, ammo, rifle, etc are inanimate objects. They only become relevant or even operational when a human employs them. It is the humans familiarity, skill and acumen with these tools that brings success in a competition. The culmination of which constitutes a rifleman and defines him as such and at what level. At what level can only be compared to the results that day at that competition shooting against other comparable riflemen.

Otherwise it all comes down to what if's and that in plain English equals conjecture.

WEBSTERS: Conjecture the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

Jeff, I had planned on being there but in between eye surgery to remove cataracts, so I can see the target again :) Hopefully will be ready for Sagebrush.
We heard about your travails. Get healed up and see you in August.
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

To stir the pot a little. Dick was shooting KIK powder. Also a couple years ago my shooting partner shot an almost perfect score in the long range at the Sagebrush shoot. He ended up with a 47. It would have been a 48 if I hadn't screwed him out of that shot :oops: . He was also shooting a 45-2 7/8 using greasers and gasp Goex Old E. He went home with an armload of trophies from that shoot.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Stir the pot? How so? Facts added for clarification fall short of stirring the pot, AND, verifies the position I previously outlined by the way. :roll:

Oh, and by the way, a 47/48 with KIK and grease groove bullets is a better score than he shot with whatever powder and paper patch.

In case nobody noticed. :wink:

Remember Paul Harvey and The Rest Of The Story :?:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That’s nothing the last 2 years the Dean Scoggins 1000 has been won by shooters shooting OE and paper patch :wink: :wink:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Way to go Dick :!:
I'm still trying to wear out that 90 :lol:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"