useful method for turning crowns on octagons

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

useful method for turning crowns on octagons

Post by mdeland »

I genuinely dislike all the fiddle farting around setting up spiders or collar bearings for turning an octagon to crown or chamber so I got this idea to mold a gob of epoxy putty near the end of a barrel and turn a bearing in it for crown or chamber work. I'm sure it is not original thinking but it is to me and might be of help to some one else.
I turn a brass button for the dead center then mount the barrel between centers in the lathe and turn the bearing surface in the cured putty. This simple bearing surface is now directly centered to the muzzle center and is almost always more accurate then will be a spider or collar mounting.
When done a simple whack with a wood chisel will split the epoxy, pull the duct tape and your done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Bly

Re: useful method for turning crowns on octagons

Post by John Bly »

Why not just put in a 4 jaw and indicate the bore true? You need a lathe that will take the barrel through the spindle.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My spindle is .750 John so I have to do it all between centers. Plus four jaws don't work so well on tapered octagons without a lot of shimming.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

This tool by Dave Manson has been available for many years and it doesn't care if the barrel is round. square or octagon. I have had all five of my barrels done with this tool in a matter of minutes at a match and in every case the accuracy has improved. No epoxy needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpzv1Spsnk

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

DeadEye wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:27 am This tool by Dave Manson has been available for many years and it doesn't care if the barrel is round. square or octagon. I have had all five of my barrels done with this tool in a matter of minutes at a match and in every case the accuracy has improved. No epoxy needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpzv1Spsnk

Paul
I know this tool, very handy, tis
Very quick, easy. 5 guns, less than 30 minutes, with a bullshit session :wink:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Red River Rick

Post by Red River Rick »

John Bly wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:18 pm Why not just put in a 4 jaw and indicate the bore true? You need a lathe that will take the barrel through the spindle.
That doesn't work worth poo with a tapered octagon barrel.
The chuck jaws are only touching at a small point.

RRR
"I make the part.................that make's the parts!"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds?
Check here: http://kal.castpics.net/
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah,they work fine for a crown trim if the pilot is a good fit but have no ability to turn the barrel shoulder or breech back a thread on the other end for set back. Even in crown work their only made for trim and truing to remove nicks and dents not for crown profile establishment .
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Not true Mike, we changed the profile of my Winchester/Browning from the deep recess to the 11 degree profile with no trouble. Just took a few more turns. I suspect you do not own one and have not used one.

Paul
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

True, as I have the lathe but do have a close friend that has one and uses it on a couple of his rifles. The problem as I see it is the pilot turning on the land tops and the handle cantilever orbit to turn the crown cutter . A few turns to true it up no issue but turning the crown back say .250 after cutting it off would be more pilot wear on the land top ends then I would care for.
Yeah it can be used to cut a full crown but it's main purpose is to trim a crown of nicks and dents and keep it true.
A typical chamber reamer pilot should have a clearance of no more than .0005 and closer is better. The reamer should be held in a floating holder to follow bore snake or taper and not bind. It also does not stay in the same place as does a crown pilot and there is no cantilever effect on pilot from the handle orbit. One mans opinion.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

According to the video I watched, the pilot is locked in the bore so that the pilot does not turn.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

That's true MikeT and just shows that Mike did not even watch the video but holds fast to his incorrect opinion which of course he's entitled to. Sort of like the prophesies he goes on about 'ad nauseum'. :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Paul
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That is true the one I saw demonstrated had the pilot revolving in the barrel and a solid pilot if anchored true would be a better method.
As far as the prophecies there will be no need for you to apologies when they happen as we will all be to busy celebrating to even consider such. :D
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Whew! That's a relief.

p
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

:lol: That makes me chuckle. I can see your really in a lather over the comment ................... buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut your in for a surprise ! If you love Yeshua it will be a good one!
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

mdeland wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:17 pm Yeah,they work fine for a crown trim if the pilot is a good fit but have no ability to turn the barrel shoulder or breech back a thread on the other end for set back. Even in crown work their only made for trim and truing to remove nicks and dents not for crown profile establishment .
Wanna bet, I "established" an 11* crown profile on daughters rifle. Crown on it "was" exact opposite profile.
No issues what so ever.
You're the one who jumped the rail on "no ability to turn a barrel shoulder or breech back a thread on the other end for set back."

Who the hell but you were talking about set back

Please review the title of the thread, nothing to do with set back.

Deadeye, if you're ever allowed by the communists here, back into the USA, I'll help you out, I'd even consider giving you the good guy discount, if you were a good guy :wink: :lol: :lol:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain