High wall breach face corrosion

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

High wall breach face corrosion

Post by mdeland »

What causes this pattern of corrosion ? All I could think of is a wet case left in a dirty gun. Any other ideas as it's not around the firing pin hole to any great extent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VBull

Re: High wall breach face corrosion

Post by VBull »

Mike,
I've seen that same thing on a couple high walls although not as bad as the one in the photo. I have no idea what causes it. Perhaps powder left in the chamber rim recess? A lot of "stuff" can happen to rifles over the time they've been around. I see that one has a large diameter firing pin so is an old one. I've spot faced, inserted some tool steel and drilled a small diameter firing pin hole in several to get them back up to snuff.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Another thought I had Frank is electrolysis through a case head but don't know how a field of conductivity could be established while in a wood stock unless it was stored muzzle down.
MC One Shot

Post by MC One Shot »

mdeland wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:43 pm Another thought I had Frank is electrolysis through a case head but don't know how a field of conductivity could be established while in a wood stock unless it was stored muzzle down.
Interesting you say that. When I first saw the picture that was what first came to mind as well. What does the case look like or has that been long recycled.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It had no case in the chamber when it came to me. I would sure like to find out the cause.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

My .44-77 #1 Remington sporting rifle has a vaguely similar ring. But this appears to be more of an impression than corrosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

mdeland wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:24 pm What causes this pattern of corrosion ? All I could think of is a wet case left in a dirty gun. Any other ideas as it's not around the firing pin hole to any great extent.
Is the corrosion ring within the case head outline, or does it correspond to the end of the barrel, outside of the case head?
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

A few leaky corrosive primers driving the chloride combustion residue to the rim seat. The barrel and chamber would be cleaned after firing, but the block would be down out of the way. Unless it was taken out and wiped off, it would eventually exhibit that circular corrosion. Another smaller circle would form around the circumference of the leaky primer.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The end of the chamber and the head of the case would be nearly the same diameter.