Left one standing

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Left one standing

Post by TexasMac »

Thought you guys might like to see a pig that was hit in the butt, knocked one leg off the tail and left standing. And no, it's not a photoshopped image.
It was shot in a Yaupon Creek match late last year by Don Claxton. What you’re looking at is the back (unpainted side). I would have thought it was impossible. It’s somewhat common to see chickens or turkeys spun 90 degrees or so but they’re standing on one leg. I expect that if the front leg pad was slightly shorter it would have went over.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
mdeland

Re: Left one standing

Post by mdeland »

Years ago Wayne I saw a chicken hit at one of our clang and bang matches that was tipped over on it's beak on top the rail and did not go off. The bullet contact had to be so small as to impart just enough energy to tip it over on it's beak and yet not enough to destabilize the balance. I'm not even sure I could reproduce the position by hand.
I've also seen rams get hit well on one side, spin and the foot hooks under the lip of the rail,drops down and binds against the belly and stays up.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I've seen the chicken on the beak you speak of in our .22 match.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Jeanne has spun so many chickens that stayed standing on the rail, in Lever Action, that her nickname was "spinning chicken".
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Pigs will balance on their front pad. When we shot in Rifle, Colorado, the stands were shaped like a T. When they were made the top of the T warped slightly and the pigs would "weather vane" when the wind hit them just right. We solved the issue by wrapping the top of the stand with duct tape. That created enough resistance that the pigs would not rotate in the wind. The tape stayed in place for years. It's a little disconcerting to have your target get smaller while you are looking at it.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.