MVA Malcom Mounts 7.2" Centers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Old-Win

MVA Malcom Mounts 7.2" Centers

Post by Old-Win »

After shooting the Q for the first time with a scope and getting lost multiple times with Unertl mts and all the wind changes, I was wondering if anybody out there uses the Malcom mounts on 7.2" centers? I have a set from a friend and looking at them, they make more sense to me as right is right and left is left and not azz backwards like the Unertls. A couple of friends I talked to like the DZ Unertls and one uses the left hand DZ to keep things straight. A couple like the Malcoms but say the numbers are hard to read.
1. On 7.2" centers,is there any binding in the scope mounts?
2. What do the vertical hash marks read for elevation and what value do you give the bottom hash mark?
3. Do the horizontal Soule like marks represent 2 1/2 mins?
4. How far can you shoot with say, standard 1/4" bases?

Any other info you may have would surely be appreciated. Thanks. Bob
Distant Thunder

Re: MVA Malcom Mounts 7.2" Centers

Post by Distant Thunder »

Must be the Old in Old-Win! :D

The way I look at it with my DZ mounts on the same 7.2" ctc spacing, not that that part matters, is that the bullet impact follows the knobs.

Elevation: If you raise the knob you raise the bullet impact. If you lower the knob you lower the bullet impact.

Windage: If you move the knob to the right you move the bullet impact to the right. If you move the knob to the left you move the bullet impact to the left. Simple, right?

The other thing I did when I first started using this scope was I took two of the white 3/4" pasters and I drew some arrows and the letters representing the 4 directions on them. It was at first just sort of training wheels, but it proved a good way to help an old guy out when he is confused so I later made a couple of stainless steel caps, engraved them and epoxied them to the knobs. They are very helpful every once in a while when I can't seem to remember which way the knobs go.

Just trying to help!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder