percussion Sharps rifles.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

percussion Sharps rifles.

Post by mdeland »

With no firing pin to contend with on a percussion Sharps is there any need to go to half cock before dropping the lever? I was wondering if the gas ring set up or nipple positioning may cause the need for the same step as dose the firing pin on the cartridge guns.
George Babits

Re: percussion Sharps rifles.

Post by George Babits »

Probably don't really have to, but I always do anyway. Mostly because I like to remove the fired cap before I lower the breech. The Shiloh ones don't have the sliding chamber insert and most of them are frozen in place on the originals that have them.

George
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

After firing I bring the rifle down to hip level. Typically when I open the breach block the cap comes off in the process and I do so once I bring the rifle down to hip level. Once the block has been dropped and the chamber is wide open I insert the cartridge . I close the block back and pull the hammer all the way back to full cock going past the half cock notch on the tumbler. Cap it….. fire it…… and then repeat.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yes, opening the breech usually takes the cap off, but I find that then I have to turn the rifle upside down to dump the cap. So, I just put it on half cock and remove the cap. Saves me having to turn it upside down to dump the cap. I guess everyone has his own routine. I shoot centerfire Sharps too so putting it on half cock keeps things the same whether it is percussion or centerfire. Good habit if you shoot both.

George