Whittington Center Buffalo

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Whittington Center Buffalo

Post by High Desert Hunter »

So this past weekend my beautiful wife and I went North to the NRA Whittington Center, it was absolutely spectacular, and our stay there was magical. I have been a Sharps owner for 3 years of life's ups and downs, I haven't accomplished half of what I wanted to with this rifle, but I can now cross shooting the white buffalo off that list. I would like to thank Rdnk for all of his help and generosity, his advice is the only reason I can cross this off my list. I am finally in a smoother spot in life, at least for a few months, and hope to work with my rifle to increase my comfort, and to increase my long range accuracy, I have a nice 1/2 thick steel plate that will be lugging into the desert to shoot at as the ranges stretch out. I did have one minor issue while shooting up North with the amount of elevation on my LR Soule sight, even with the large Hadley peep I was getting a lot of glare, and was having to hunt for my front sight, one time I forgot to tilt the staff back upright, and had the clearest picture imaginable, but when I put it perpendicular, it was back to glare and hunting for the globe and the buffalo. I think it may have been due to my eye not being level with the peep, and am going to try a makeshift cheek pad next time out. Anyhow, it struck a chord deep in my chest, and I am now going to work on enough confidence to travel to a match, hopefully within the next year. Thinking maybe Tucson or Raton next year. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Dave
Glen Ring

Re: Whittington Center Buffalo

Post by Glen Ring »

We probably saw each other and didn't know it. We took our 13 year old grandson there this past week and tried to shoot the white buffalo. It was raining, we have never shot our 40-65s past 500 meters and we didn't get him on the white buffalo. We have shot lever action for years and can hit the buffalo consistently with a 30-30...so maybe that's what we'll take in addition to our BPCR guns so he can cross that off his list early. Even when raining and muddy we love that place. Before the summer is over we want to shoot the sporting clays ranges...they are very nice. Glad you enjoyed the place and maybe we'll see you out there.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
High Desert Hunter

We rolled in Friday and left Sunday morning. We were staying in one of the Founder's cabins. I will bring my scatter gun next time so I can shoot some clay pigeons as well. Happy you had a good trip, was thankful for the drier conditions on Saturday, dust definitely made it easier for my wife to spot for me, her first time.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

We have visited the center for over 20 years. We are now taking our grandson. He has competed with a 22 for a few years and just a few days prior to our trip announced he was ready for a 40-65. We scrambled to load rounds and make the trip to Raton to shoot. After I load for all three of us I think we'll have about 10 rounds left after the International BPCR Silhouette match!! All that work is worth it when he downed his first ram at 500 meters !! We learn something new every day about shooting.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
High Desert Hunter

That is awesome! I look forward to the day when I can introduce my grandson to the shooting sports. It has been raining here in NM since Sunday, normally we are at or near triple digits, but we have been in the 60s and 70s all week. Taking advantage by casting up some bullets.