Perhaps a "Gem" rolling block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ndnchf

Perhaps a "Gem" rolling block

Post by ndnchf »

I'm excited to share this rifle with you guys. In fact it could be a Gem, which was the original name of what became the Remington #2 rolling block rifle. 

These mid-sized Remingtons first came out in late 1872. By March of 1873 they renamed it the #2 rifle. While well used over its near 150 year life, it is all complete and original.  It has a late 3 digit serial number and the rotary knife blade extractor. This extractor was only used on the very early #2 rifles. It was considered weak and soon replaced with the sliding bar extractor.  It is chambered in .32 Extra Long rimfire. The bore is well used and pitted, but but not dark.  Marcit's book only shows four Gem/#2 rifes with lower serial numbers. Of course there are no records to date it, but I'd estimate that it dates to early-mid 1873. 

Just thought you guys would like to see it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
mdeland

Re: Perhaps a "Gem" rolling block

Post by mdeland »

I love that gun, which it were in my corral. Thanks for showing it! Hows it shoot ?
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I don't know....yet :wink: I just brought it home yesterday . The bore is pretty worn, and has some serious pitting about 6" ahead of the chamber. I don't expect it will shoot very well. But I'll load a few rounds and see. I have another #2 in .32XL with a near excellent bore. It is very accurate.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It might really surprise you with crown tune up and bore lapping. I'm currently doing a High Wall with a bore in about the same shape as you describe and I'm going to give it the same treatment along with a fresh chamber and I bet dollars to donuts it will shoot as well as it did when new!
All the bore need do in spin the bullet without deforming it in any way and it will be accurate.
I've found that pits , if not in the muzzle or leade and do not cause leading are meaningless other than looking bad. Usually constrictions are what cause leading not lapped over pits filled with bullet lube.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Well, maybe :D Here is what I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

From the breech end.
1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

I really like it. It shows its age with grace.
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, that is pretty rough alright. If it were mine I'd set it back a thread, re-chamber, re-crown and give it a good lap job before re-lining or re-barreling. It might be to the point that it will need a liner install but I'd sure give it a try as original first.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I'll load up a few .32 XL rimfires and see how it does. But I'm not expecting too much. Being such an early one and un-messed with, I may just leave it as-is and let it enjoy its retirement. I have four other #2 rifles that are all good shooters.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Do you have any # 4's in your collection. I still have a non-take down model 4 that I relined to .22LR. I let my take down which I also relined to .22 LR go down the road to a friend.
The one I kept was a .32long originally if I remember correctly. I need to get it out and look on the barrel.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Not at present. I bought each of my sons a #4 when they were little kids. They are in their 30s now and still have them. They came to visit last month and brought their #4s, so we went shooting. Here they are having fun with them. I need to get another for myself :wink:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'd like to have a #2 someday if one comes up at a show and I can afford it. I get a kick out of getting these ole wrecks back in shooting form as much in original form as possible.
I'm sure one will come along sooner or later as I go to lot's of shows and if they are messed up enough one can usually make a deal for them.
Can't wait to see you get the ole girl working for you again.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

They do turn up from time to time, sometimes in odd places. I sold another 32 cal #2 with a worn out barrel a couple years ago. I regret that now. I should have kept it and had it rebored to .38. Dumb me. I now have five #2 rifles. Its hard to pick a favorite, but I have to say I really like the .44 cal rifle since it is so rare. It shoots very well.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for them.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I got a 32 RF @2 rolling block about 30 years ago. Sent it off and had it sleeved to and chambered to 32-20, Barrel is a bit longer than standard. Both my daughters learned how to shoot with that rifle. The girls and I used to use it for grouse huntilg all the time. I still shoot it when I want to just goof around. They are indeed, great little rifles. I have a #2 in 22 RF as well. Not the best of shape but shoots great.

George
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I loaded up 5 rounds of .32 extra long rimfire to try out in the early #2 rolling block. I was already planning to stop at the range after work tomorrow to chronograph .44 long rimfires in the Ballard and .56-50 rimfires in the Remington split breech. With the rough bore condition of this rifle, I'm under no illusions that it will be a tack driver. But I like to shoot all my rifles, so now is as good a time as any to try this one out.