Books for reloading

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

OneLegGuy

Books for reloading

Post by OneLegGuy »

I'm happy to finally have my Shiloh and now need to get some rounds for it so I can really enjoy it. I've never reloaded before so I'll need to buy everything needed. I was looking for a recommendation of a book on reloading that could help me get started. 'Ive been looking over the threads here and have learned a lot and know the wealth of knowledge on this page will really come in handy. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Dan
rgchristensen

Re: Books for reloading

Post by rgchristensen »

DAN:
Sent you a PM, q.v.

CHRIS
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

are you going to be loading black powder or smokeless???
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
OneLegGuy

Post by OneLegGuy »

I'm going to load black powder.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

well there isnt going to be a book that says use XXX amount of powder and its going to be accurate, if it does im about 99.9% sure......it wont be. Pick a bullet for your twist you most likely have 1-18, so a 1.41-1.45" bullet at .458-.459dia should be good, find your seat depth (or how far out you can seat said bullet) fill powder to that point and place a .030 or a .060 wad on top and compress it to your seat depth. You can add .5gr at a time til accuracy comes in. It is usually a lot of tinkering to get these to shoot REALLY well, (under 1moa) but they can if you give them the time to do so.

You will have to make a decision about bullets, either PP, DDPP or GG. If you ask me, it will be DDPP, but the rest can and do shoot well too. Finding the lube that works well in your rifle is the hard part.

Paul Matthews has a few books that describe this in print as well. A few of us started with his book but, most have set them aside as the info isnt really relevant to our current loads. If feel that we as a group can do a better job and you can gain more knowledge here that reading his books.

For loading equipment, a press (Lee classic cast, RCBS rockchucker), scale (RCBS chargemaster or you can load by volume), dies (Lyman, RCBS, CH4D, Redding), Lube pad, case tools (Lyman makes a good tool, its orange and comes with all the different ones you need), drop tube, case cleaner (I prefer SS pin tumbler, from Frankford arsenal), case trimmer, loading block, case polisher if you want shinny cases (lyman, RCBS).

If you choose to load GG a lubersizer will make quick work and make your bullets all the same dia. Lyman, RCBS and Magama(star) make them. you will need the die and nose punch to go along with the sizer.

lead pot (LEE, Lyman, RCBS)

bullet mold (Buffalo arms, Steve Brooks, Lyman, there are lots to choose from but, you have to choose like i said before.

That should be a good start and keep you busy for a min or two :D
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

sorry I thought you had said you had a 45-70....obviously you didnt so you will have to find your twist rate.

matt
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
OneLegGuy

Post by OneLegGuy »

Thank you for all that info. It will really help out. I got a Quigley in 45 2 7/8. I'm hoping to find someone near me in western WA to help as well. I do much better learning hands on then through a book but have to start somewhere.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

well you didnt pick the smallest caliber!! :lol: there are a few here who have made those shoot....and shoot very well i might add!!! Im sure they will chime in. If not start a new thread on that cal and its loadings.

You should have a 1-18 twist. Im going to warn you...If you shoot full loads with a 523-535gr bullet and a military butt, she's going to kick like a damm mule and it wont be fun no more!! get a shoulder pad, buffalo arms makes a very nice one!! I have a 45-2.6 and Im getting tired of it, its just too much in a standard weight rifle, for match shooting. My next one due this year will be 45-90. Good luck and have fun!!

matt
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Try Youtube...it may be a longshot but there has to be a few videos on loading BP......
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
OneLegGuy

Post by OneLegGuy »

Thanks Matt. Im used to rifles that kick. My go to hunting rifle is my 300 Wby Mag. But Im sure that butt will bite pretty good with a heavy load. My Shiloh is the first time I have ever even touched a Sharps. Weight is a bit more than I was expecting lol. Im sure that weight will help with recoil. Ive been looking up the stuff you recommended so I will be saving to get my gear stocked up. Looks like the hardest thing to find will be the brass. Looks to be sold out at the places Ive looked.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Somewhere way back in my early posts i listed three good resources you could download free from the internet. Maybe sometime i need to dig them back out.
Its nice to see the different ways people accomplish the same goals, then figure out what works best for you.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

OneLegGuy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:39 pm Thank you for all that info. It will really help out. I got a Quigley in 45 2 7/8. I'm hoping to find someone near me in western WA to help as well. I do much better learning hands on then through a book but have to start somewhere.
Kenny Wasserberger is a good to guy to ask about getting the 45-27/8 to shoot well. Located in Wyoming.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Good luck.
bobw
1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

Let us know how you make out. I'm on the fence with either a .45 2 6/10 or .45 2 7/8. Several dealers like Natchez Shooters Supply and Cabela's sell an all-in-one kit with almost everything needed for a basic setup. The rest you can cherry-pick or even make. I made my own drop tube for under $10.
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

The "SPG BP Cartridge Reloading Primer" by Venturino and Garbe might be a real good place to start. Don't know if it is still in print or not. Also, the Lyman cast bullet handbook, 4th edition, , while not listing many black powder loads, has a wealth of basic reloading information.

George