PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BlackJack

PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Post by BlackJack »

Hello all I'm new here and had to tell someone about my purchase of a Hartford 1874 50-90 Sharps😁! Use to have a Long Range Express years ago but sold it to a Navy vet. in Alaska so it's probably put to good use and care. Anyway, I've missed it and just had to get another after deciding on what I wanted to add to my arsenal of cal. 44-40, 45-60, 45-75, 45-70, 45-90 (re-chambered by Lee Shaver in March drove from Texas to Missouri and stayed a couple of days). By the way Lee is very interesting to talk to a great guy!
My Hartford I found by accident on BACO's site and by surprise it was really more fancy than what I had written up to order! Anyway, after receiving it looked it over real good and brought it home. I don't think it's been fired and after removing the block (and cleaning some thick grease) there are no signs of firing and if so maybe a handful of rounds if that many I can't tell even looking in other areas. Rifle does have a couple of small surface scratches on buttstock (could be fixed by heat) bore looks new to me and only other thing is the bbl. on two flats has "pinprick" rust on two flats and apparently stored for awhile. Also, no apparent wear on receiver.
Ordered a build/history letter got it in a few days from the good people at Shiloh! Equipped as per letter:

Hartford '74
50-90 Sharps
Hvy 32" oct. bbl. (polished)
Blade Front
Full Buckhorn Rear
Pack Harden finish
Double Set Triggers
Extra Fancy Stock (really nice eye popper)😳
AAA Finish
Pewter Inlaid Forend Cap
Polished Screws
Brass Escutcheons
Steel checkered buttplate

Have purchased Kelly long Range Vernier but can't find Kelly Front Sight.

So, there it is also have reloading supplies and will start off by loading 500-525 grn cast w/5744 and BP later have 777 but not sure I want to load with that. Been looking online found many loads using 5744 but yet to find for the boolit weights I have. Been suggested to start w/32 grains but going to do more research. Would glad to load pictures. I have pics on my phone but I don't think I can download them on the forum. I'm old school not very computer smart UGH πŸ˜’!

Ya'll Take Care Now😁
Rich, Tex
1578Tiger

Re: PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Post by 1578Tiger »

Sounds like a really nice one.
Wayne

β€œI prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

BlackJack wrote: ↑Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:00 pm Hello all I'm new here and had to tell someone about my purchase of a Hartford 1874 50-90 Sharps😁! Use to have a Long Range Express years ago but sold it to a Navy vet. in Alaska so it's probably put to good use and care. Anyway, I've missed it and just had to get another after deciding on what I wanted to add to my arsenal of cal. 44-40, 45-60, 45-75, 45-70, 45-90 (re-chambered by Lee Shaver in March drove from Texas to Missouri and stayed a couple of days). By the way Lee is very interesting to talk to a great guy!
My Hartford I found by accident on BACO's site and by surprise it was really more fancy than what I had written up to order! Anyway, after receiving it looked it over real good and brought it home. I don't think it's been fired and after removing the block (and cleaning some thick grease) there are no signs of firing and if so maybe a handful of rounds if that many I can't tell even looking in other areas. Rifle does have a couple of small surface scratches on buttstock (could be fixed by heat) bore looks new to me and only other thing is the bbl. on two flats has "pinprick" rust on two flats and apparently stored for awhile. Also, no apparent wear on receiver.
Ordered a build/history letter got it in a few days from the good people at Shiloh! Equipped as per letter:

Hartford '74
50-90 Sharps
Blade Front
Full Buckhorn Rear
Pack Harden finish
Double Set Triggers
AAA Finish
Pewter Inlaid Forend Cap
Polished Screws
Brass Escutcheons

So, there it is also have reloading supplies and will start off by loading 500-525 grn cast w/5744 and BP later have 777 but not sure I want to load with that. Been looking online found many loads using 5744 but yet to find for the boolit weights I have. Been suggested to start w/32 grains but going to do more research. Would glad to load pictures. I have pics on my phone but I don't think I can download them on the forum. I'm old school not very computer smart UGH πŸ˜’!

Ya'll Take Care Now😁
Rich, Tex

Forgot to add part of history:
It was originally ordered by Bill Goodman from Sharps and he received it per letter in 2008. It's in the S/N block of 40xx-B. Also, it was on Gunsinternational at one time to be sold and it did sell.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

1578Tiger wrote: ↑Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:03 pm Sounds like a really nice one.
It is! I keep pulling it back out of the safe can't keep my eyes off of it🧐!

Wayne, Thanks for the reply!
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I would "NOT" shoot 5744 out of that rifle in that caliber. Stick with black powder.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Dennis Armistead wrote: ↑Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:02 pm I would "NOT" shoot 5744 out of that rifle in that caliber. Stick with black powder.
Dennis
Hello Dennis, and thanks for the comment. I see what your saying but in my research I've read a couple of articles that the 50-90 was one of the cartridges that Accurate Arms used in the development of 5744. The powder (5744) being one of the larger in bulk for extruded powder takes up more space so there's not so much "void". Also, it was designed not to be position sensitive. They say it works fine in the old straight BP cases just DO NOT use wads/filler of any kind to cause chamber ringing or possible pressure spikes.

There are smokless loads printed by Accurate Arms, 11th edition of the "Cartridges of the World" by Frank Barnes, a Handloader mag. article and in the old 3rd edition of the Lyman cast bullet manual for the 50-90. So, I don't know why they would print loads if they were dangerous. There are various loads but I haven't found any yet for the bullets I have (500-525) grn. using the 5744. Looks like what I've read looks like 540-550 grn. Start loads around 32 grains.
Accurate list 550 FN and the 700grn. Spitz. starting at 31.5. What's interesting that's 150 difference! I've loaded in the past cast bullets weighing up to 10 grns. difference using the same powder/load and never had a problem. Cases, primers and extraction were all ok and the loads were all printed from my old Lyman manual. Well, that said I'm still in the "investigative" mode 'cause I'm darn sure I don't want fragments in my face from that beautiful Sharps🀣!
Stay Safe,
Rich
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Rich, I get what you're saying....but the fact is this, been shooting the .50 2 1/2 for over 30 years and have experimented with all types of loads and I recommend that you stay away from smokeless powder in the .50 2 1/2. Can you shoot 5744 out of it? Sure, but why? Black powder is more accurate and safer than smokeless in that large of a case. Just trying to help, but in the end...your rifle.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Dennis Armistead wrote: ↑Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 pm Rich, I get what you're saying....but the fact is this, been shooting the .50 2 1/2 for over 30 years and have experimented with all types of loads and I recommend that you stay away from smokeless powder in the .50 2 1/2. Can you shoot 5744 out of it? Sure, but why? Black powder is more accurate and safer than smokeless in that large of a case. Just trying to help, but in the end...your rifle.
Dennis
Oh I understand BP is the main way to go but thought I'd investigate 5744 to start out with. BP is fun as a matter of fact in the late '60s I reloaded for an old Meridian double bbl. (Damascus bbls) shot trap with it loaded with FFG 1 & 1/8 OZ of 7.5 shot don't remember the charge. Used to have to look aside the smoke to see if I hit the clay bird LOLπŸ˜†πŸ˜†! Anyway, Thanks again for the info and you take care! Rich
bobw

Post by bobw »

Dennis Armistead wrote: ↑Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:02 pm I would "NOT" shoot 5744 out of that rifle in that caliber. Stick with black powder.
Dennis
Dennis gave you good advice twice ,3 strikes your out.
bobw
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

BlackJack wrote: ↑Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:00 pm Hello all I'm new here and had to tell someone about my purchase of a Hartford 1874 50-90 Sharps😁! Use to have a Long Range Express years ago but sold it to a Navy vet. in Alaska so it's probably put to good use and care. Anyway, I've missed it and just had to get another after deciding on what I wanted to add to my arsenal of cal. 44-40, 45-60, 45-75, 45-70, 45-90 (re-chambered by Lee Shaver in March drove from Texas to Missouri and stayed a couple of days). By the way Lee is very interesting to talk to a great guy!

Hartford '74
50-90 Sharps
Blade Front
Full Buckhorn Rear
Pack Harden finish
Double Set Triggers
AAA Finish
Pewter Inlaid Forend Cap
Polished Screws
Brass Escutcheons

Ya'll Take Care Now😁
Rich, Tex
20210612_144654.jpg
20210612_144200.jpg
20210612_144200.jpg
20210612_144200.jpg
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

My attemp to post pics of my recent purchase of my Hartford 50-90 Sharps. Will post one to see if it works.
20210612_144532.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Ok looks like it worked had to resize down to 20% so here goes!
20210614_144359.jpg
20210612_144654.jpg
20210612_144532.jpg
20210612_144532.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Continue pics:
20210612_144409.jpg
20210612_144344.jpg
20210612_144200.jpg
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

A couple more: my apologies for double pics need to find out to delete.
20210612_144357.jpg
20210610_182757.jpg
I didn't know how to post pics in my original post but investigated last night and early this morning and figured it out. It was ok no big deal once the process was tried. Although had to resize but ok. Hope all will enjoy pics!
Stay Safe!
Rich
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

Black Jack,
As far as three strikes your out goes, not really if you know what you're doing with smokeless.
I've been shooting sharps for going on 33 years and have never used black in my 3 rifles (.40, .45, &.50) and after 10s of thousands of rounds I never had a single problem. If you look in the Lyman reloading handbook you'll find lots of loads for the sharps with different types of powder. Also sharps comes in .405 Winchester and if you look in Lyman you'll see the pressure at about 40K so if sharps makes a rifle that can handle that kind of pressure they are pretty strong. Don't do anything stupid but a little bit of common since goes a long way. Like me you will be called a lot of names on here but that means you're doing something others aren't. By the way I have tried 8 different powders in my trials.

Frank

My long distance provider is sharps.