PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BlackJack

Re: PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Post by BlackJack »

battleship gunner wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:03 pm Black Jack,
As far as three strikes your out goes, not really if you know what you're doing with smokeless.
I've been shooting sharps for going on 33 years and have never used black in my 3 rifles (.40, .45, &.50) and after 10s of thousands of rounds I never had a single problem. If you look in the Lyman reloading handbook you'll find lots of loads for the sharps with different types of powder. Also sharps comes in .405 Winchester and if you look in Lyman you'll see the pressure at about 40K so if sharps makes a rifle that can handle that kind of pressure they are pretty strong. Don't do anything stupid but a little bit of common since goes a long way. Like me you will be called a lot of names on here but that means you're doing something others aren't. By the way I have tried 8 different powders in my trials.

Frank

My long distance provider is sharps.
Thanks Frank for the info! Been loading since 1969. Have always been careful never strayed from loading manuals and have always loaded by hand ONE AT A TIME slow but I feel better! After dumping powder in a case I then cover it with a little chapstick plastic cap. When finished pull caps and look with a light to check level of powder before seating bullets. I've never had a problem either from 9mm to 50BMG and .410ga to 12ga. My gosh a double charge would be devastating😳!

Now investigating in loading the 50-90 I have read several articles about 5744 and data seems to be ok by Accurate Arms and others. Even read that the 50-90 was one of the cartridges used in the development of 5744.
Anyway, I'm just investigating a start load for bullets 500-525 grains that I have on hand. It's been suggested to me
32 grains but want to find it in print. I've seen bullets 540-700 grains and 32 grains looks like it may work. Also, read about the 40% rule about start loads from an Accurate Arms old article about the old BP strait cases so we'll see. THANKS again for your info and your kindness!
Stay Safe,
Rich
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Congratulations that’s a nice rifle!

I shoot BP in my 50-90 but tried some 5744 again recently, I used some loads that were shown in an older accurate manual which I found and printed out. I’ve also used WC872 which is a surplus 20 mm cannon powder. My loading technique is pretty conservative and I feel okay with the smokeless loads I’ve put together so far, however They will never replace my BP loadings !!

I live in New England and my rifle sits dormant for 3-4 months a year because messing around with wet patches and swabbing between shots when it’s 9 degrees is unpleasant to say the least. A smokeless load would keep my rifle shooting all winter.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

SharpsBig50 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:54 pm Congratulations that’s a nice rifle!

I shoot BP in my 50-90 but tried some 5744 again recently, I used some loads that were shown in an older accurate manual which I found and printed out. I’ve also used WC872 which is a surplus 20 mm cannon powder. My loading technique is pretty conservative and I feel okay with the smokeless loads I’ve put together so far, however They will never replace my BP loadings !!

I live in New England and my rifle sits dormant for 3-4 months a year because messing around with wet patches and swabbing between shots when it’s 9 degrees is unpleasant to say the least. A smokeless load would keep my rifle shooting all winter.
SharpsBig50
Thanks for the info! 20mm cannon powder BOOM! I bet the 50-90 loved that😳! There are loads of smokless but still trying to find in print for cast bullets I have. I've been loading since late '60s various cal. and Thank God I've never had a problem either! I mentioned in another post I load one at a time and check levels with a light before seating bullets. Shooting in 9° that would freeze my knickers😱! Thanks again!
Stay Safe!
Rich
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

I get no joy with using smokless in a Sharps. I bought my Sharps because of their historical accuracy and power! The only way to really experience this legendary rifle is with real black powder otherwise you are just cheating yourself. If all I wanted use was smokless powder I would have bought a Ruger #1.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Chief Beck.........roger that, black only in my 50-90 SS!!
kw
Montana territory
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

Chief Beck,
I use smokeless in my. 50-140 ( 3.25'' ) with a 650 gr. gg.
ACC-UR-ATE
Just sayin.

Frank

SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

Chief Beck wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:43 pm I get no joy with using smokless in a Sharps. I bought my Sharps because of their historical accuracy and power! The only way to really experience this legendary rifle is with real black powder otherwise you are just cheating yourself. If all I wanted use was smokless powder I would have bought a Ruger #1.

Dennis
I agree it’s weird to shoot smokeless no wiping just load and shoot, I could knock the primer out of the case and reload them right at the range if I wanted. all the smokeless loads produced higher velocities based on my sight settings. I use my barrel sights and at 300 yards using the 300 yard setting my rifle shoots high.

I would never replace BP with smokeless unless purchasing BP becomes impossible in the future. I disagree that smokeless should be discounted altogether.
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

BlackJack, this forum can sometimes be brutal on smokeless shooters; back in earlier days, you dare not even type the word smokeless but things have lightened up a bit over the years.
I understand the allure of BP and also the ease of smokeless; I suggest or criticize neither - shoot what you wish. For me, I shoot 3031 in my 45-70, the accuracy is great and as mentioned, no mess. However, if I were not such a novice, I would move to the BP arena and enjoy the ride but, I am happy with the 3031 world. I get the deliberate opinion but not the tunnel vision - there are options that work very well if you decide to take the smokeless route. The purest on this forum have lots of knowledge to share and they are definitely worth a listen - those boys/ girls are shooters but I am good with 3031.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Steve Sudbeck wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:16 am BlackJack, this forum can sometimes be brutal on smokeless shooters; back in earlier days, you dare not even type the word smokeless but things have lightened up a bit over the years.
I understand the allure of BP and also the ease of smokeless; I suggest or criticize neither - shoot what you wish. For me, I shoot 3031 in my 45-70, the accuracy is great and as mentioned, no mess. However, if I were not such a novice, I would move to the BP arena and enjoy the ride but, I am happy with the 3031 world. I get the deliberate opinion but not the tunnel vision - there are options that work very well if you decide to take the smokeless route. The purest on this forum have lots of knowledge to share and they are definitely worth a listen - those boys/ girls are shooters but I am good with 3031.
Thanks Steve for the info! Been around since the late '40s learned along time ago to take not so friendly incoming "spitballs" with grace 😄 LOL! I just want to enjoy my firearms and been in awe of the fine quality which makes them such a treasure to own. BP is fine and fun to shoot and as I said in previous post it will be later on. I'm starting off with the 50-90 experimenting BUT NOT be a Hot Rodder! Been loading since late '60s. Again, Thanks for the kind words! Rich🤠
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

BlackJack,

You have an absolutely beautiful rifle with very nice appointments, nicely done!

Battleship Gunner, I never mentioned that smokeless is less accurate than black. Glad you are able to make your .50-140 shoot though I think that round is more appropriate in a British Double or single shot or maybe a Highwall.
My thoughts are you should use the correct powder type for what the gun was designed for: 1870's technology dictates black powder. Yes, the Shiloh's are modern manufactured and plenty strong but they are still an 1870 design.
Not wanting to argue, we spend thousands of dollars on a rifle to replicate a firearm of very old technology that interests us and then turn around and use smokeless powder that it was never designed to use, does not make sense to me.

BlackJack, it is your beautiful rifle you can use what ever powder you like, but you really should give black a shot. I think it is easier to load black than smokeless.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

In my earlier post, I said it sounds like a nice rifle. I was wrong. It's outstanding.
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

Chief Beck,
Thank you for your polite disagreement with me. It's nice to see that there are still posters with class who can agree to disagree. I would never advocate the use of smokeless it's just what works for me and has for decades.

Frank

BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

Chief Beck wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:51 am BlackJack,

You have an absolutely beautiful rifle with very nice appointments, nicely done!

Battleship Gunner, I never mentioned that smokeless is less accurate than black. Glad you are able to make your .50-140 shoot though I think that round is more appropriate in a British Double or single shot or maybe a Highwall.
My thoughts are you should use the correct powder type for what the gun was designed for: 1870's technology dictates black powder. Yes, the Shiloh's are modern manufactured and plenty strong but they are still an 1870 design.
Not wanting to argue, we spend thousands of dollars on a rifle to replicate a firearm of very old technology that interests us and then turn around and use smokeless powder that it was never designed to use, does not make sense to me.

BlackJack, it is your beautiful rifle you can use what ever powder you like, but you really should give black a shot. I think it is easier to load black than smokeless.

Dennis
Hello again Dennis! Thanks for the info I'll be REAL careful filling the cases and compress the smokess in the 50!😄 NO JUST KIDDING!!! I'll be REAL careful you can bet on that!! Take Care......Rich
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

1578Tiger wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:58 pm In my earlier post, I said it sounds like a nice rifle. I was wrong. It's outstanding.

Thanks Tiger! it is nice BUT in my earlier post in describing the 50 all is like new (don't even think it's been fired) except a couple of surface scratches at rear of buttstock which I'll attend to later on. Anyway, I had mention in that post about tiny "pinprick" surface rust along just in front of forearm on a couple of barrel flats up about half way to front sight. Well, I've had pretty good luck in the past with removing small rust on firearms recently having to do it on my 44-40 rifle. It had it everywhere when I bought it. But got about all of it off with oil and "0000" steal wool. Anyway, on the 50 I'm puzzled I've worked on it since last night with my steel wool and various oils Hoppies, moble 1, industrial penetraiting oil and WD40. I've let sit for several minutes rubbing it in then easily rubbing with the steel wool then clean off and repeat to my distain NO PROGRESS😡!! This puzzles me it should be coming off! Also, rubbed to hard or too long and now have small area that's kinda dull😡!
Apparently the rifle was stored awhile and not checked on and those areas on the bbl. got alittle cancer. It is kinda hard to see unless you get up close and have the light in a certain position it doesn't just jump out at ya. So, back to the drawing table gotta be real careful it's a polished bbl.!!!!.....Rich
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

BlackJack,

It sounds you have a small rust pit under that deep seated rust head. Try using the edge of a copper penny, I had to do that on a 2nd gen. Colt Dragoon I purchased years ago and there was a small pit under it.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"