PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BlackJack

Re: PURCHASE OF HARTFORD 1874 50-90 SHARPS

Post by BlackJack »

Chief Beck wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:46 pm BlackJack,

It sounds you have a small rust pit under that deep seated rust head. Try using the edge of a copper penny, I had to do that on a 2nd gen. Colt Dragoon I purchased years ago and there was a small pit under it.

Dennis
Hi Dennis, in the morning I'm going to get my magnifier head gear out its got several settings on it. Like I was saying the darn spots are very small and can hardly be seen I may pick at one say on the bottom where it wouldn't be so noticeable and see what's going on. I've got the bbl. applied with a heavy coat of WD40 it'll soak 'till in the morning. Still, I can't believe it's not coming off maybe it's what you mentioned. Also, I can't even feel the spots with my finger nail I'll try the penny too!....Rich
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Wax the crap out of your rifle using high grade carnauba instrument wax on everything. It makes for easy clean up and protection that doesn’t migrate like oil.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Wait until they start in on you about paper patch bullets only and heaven forbid you ever venturing into duplex loads. :D All are fun and safe if loaded correctly in well cared for guns.
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

mdeland wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:04 pm Wait until they start in on you about paper patch bullets only and heaven forbid you ever venturing into duplex loads. :D All are fun and safe if loaded correctly in well cared for guns.
Hello mdeland thanks for the warning LOL😊! It's all good. Well, as per loads NO DUPLEX and BP is ok but later on. As far as paper patch if I can find what I want I'll load some with smokeless just for the heck of it! Also, the question we all sometimes ask is (not meant toward you) "Who bought the Buffalo Boomer anyway you or me?" I think I'm pretty good getting along with (we all should in the shooting community) and there are great people on this forum and I want to be friends with all but some of the posts I've read on others could start a fist fight and just plain rude! I try to treat others like I want to be treated😁! Take Care.......Rich
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I've shot a friends Ballard 50-90 several times and didn't think it was too bad. Apparently he did though as he sold it pretty quickly after shooting it for awhile. It was a Cody Gun I believe and very nicely cased with good wood.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Now if you want recoil, I have a .58 cal Navy Arm Hawken hunter muzzle loader that weighs 9 lbs and the best load I have for it shoots a 620 grain Maxi ball with 150 grains of 2F Goex.
I've group shot into 2 inches at 100 yards with that gun and load but boy will it make your eyes water from recoil, even with a Past Pad on your shoulder. It kinda snatches you out from under your hat when the light comes on! :lol:
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

mdeland wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:03 pm Now if you want recoil, I have a .58 cal Navy Arm Hawken hunter muzzle loader that weighs 9 lbs and the best load I have for it shoots a 620 grain Maxi ball with 150 grains of 2F Goex.
I've group shot into 2 inches at 100 yards with that gun and load but boy will it make your eyes water from recoil, even with a Past Pad on your shoulder. It kinda snatches you out from under your hat when the light comes on! :lol:
Wow, I bet it does (OUTCH)😳! Reminds me of my Serbu 50 it weighed about 17lbs from the factory. I've shot 50s when in the service late '60s but shooting a 17lb one I figured I'd better come up with something to "tone" it down. Grabbed one of my Magpul stocks and inserted steel rods in the tube and made a detachable bbl. weight mounted underneath the heat shield and now the rifle weighs right at 26lbs. When shooting my light reloads not bad but shooting full 750grn loads I mount it in my rack much better!!.....Rich
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have a close friend and shooting buddy that recently bought a early Sharps , not sure it came from Shiloh but perhaps their predecessor, in 50- 3 i/4 . He was having a very hard time finding brass for it. I think he finally found 20 cases some where. He could have them turned from solid brass at 7.50 a piece and I'll have to ask, that may be what he did.
I'm not sure what the case volume is but think it's something like 140 grains of 1 or 2 F black powder.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

BlackJack,
Congratulations on your beautiful rifle. They truly are a work of art.

If you dont cast bullets yourself and want to go up in bullet weight a bit, Montana Bullet Works has a good assortment listed for the .50. I've personally used the NEI 700 grain and Saeco 600 grain with excellent results. Their bullets are hand weighed and excellent quality.

Good luck with the rifle, keep us posted on how it shoots!

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR