Remington split breech carbine disassembly

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ndnchf

Re: Remington split breech carbine disassembly

Post by ndnchf »

A little elbow grease can make a big difference 😀
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Steve, in viewing your video several more times I'm wondering if the case is sealing the bore on the side you counter-bored for the priming case. If there is powder scorching down the outside on that side of the case then it may not be sealing the gas off from the case mouth.
It looks like an awful lot of blow by and am concerned for your safety.
You may want to get some one to watch for it while you shoot with the ramset cartridge priming as well.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I appreciate your concern. I've taken it to the range 3 times since I made the video. Those first cartridges used the less robust starter pistol blanks as primers. Some of these were puncturing from the heavy hammer blow. That is the blowback you see. In the lighter loads the case mouths dont seal as well, resulting in a little sooting of the case and minor blowback. But since switching to Ramsets, Ive not had a single puncture. I just reloaded them again. This time with empty Ramsets (powder dumped out), 34.5gr of Schuetzen 2F and a Rapine 350 bullet. I hope to stop at the range after work this week to chronograph them. I'm trying to get close to Springfield Armory's documented carbine velocity of 900fps.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ah, that's good news and am enjoying your videos. Keep up the good and interesting experiments with these neat ole guns. Oh yeah, I need to ask as I seem to have missed it somewhere, what are the basic cases made from in 56-50 ?
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I'm using new Starline .56-50 centerfire, then converting them to rimfire. I have used .50-70, but these are less work and work fine.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I took the .56-50 rimfire Remington split breech carbine to the range again today. I was testing a new load of 34.5 gr of Schuetzen 2F, Rapine 350 bullet and an empty Ramset as a primer. This was giving me around 700fps. It shoots well and I had no perforated primers. I really like this load :-)

While there I made a short video that gives an update on my progress with it.

https://youtu.be/WmIgXCcZSPU