Remington split breech carbine disassembly

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ndnchf

Remington split breech carbine disassembly

Post by ndnchf »

I finally screwed up the courage to figure out how to disassemble my Remington split breech. If you ever wondered what they looked like inside, here are the major parts. I've seached for assembly/disassembly instructions, but found none, only parts breakdowns. These help, but it still took some headscratching to figure out how this mousetrap comes apart.

Not many people have seen one of these ip close, much less disassembled. I thought some of you would be interested in seeing the innards.

It is clearly VERY different from the next generation #1 rolling blocks. Note the mainspring at the front, under the barrel. The trigger assemble needs to be removed. The block comes out the top, the hammer out the bottom.

The screws look untouched, I dont think it has ever been apart. But since I shoot it, I wanted to clean, inspect and lubricate it.

It is fun to learn what makes these things tick :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
mdeland

Re: Remington split breech carbine disassembly

Post by mdeland »

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the picture as well as take down instruction ! I've seen them in pictures but never had occasion to get inside and see how they work. This stuff is my favorite part of this forum getting to see and learn of new (to me) gun function and disassembly .
What is the cartridge and how is the bore ? It looks like the pins are held in with jamb screws, no ?
How does the main spring attach ? I see a spring vice on it.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Thanks, glad to know a few are interested. The cartridge is .56-50 rimfire. Ive taken it to the range 4 or 5 times now, it shoot very well. But I knew it was dirty inside and needed lube too. Yes the pins look like screws, but the slots are just for positioning them for the little lock screws. The bore is bright, shiny - near excellent. Its a very small bit of light pitting. Here a few more pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

A couple more.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Very cool, I see the extractor slot extension into the receiver makes a dandy barrel index to TDC. Did the split breech come from Whitney I think or was it an original Remington design?
I also noticed the saddle ring is in pristine condition . On my carbine Roller in .43 Spanish it is almost worn through from being carried on horse back.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

It is Remingtons. Right after this, the action was completely redesigned and became the familiar #1 rolling block action. The family resemblance to my m1867 navy rolling block carbine is clear.

Im very impressed with the quality and machining inside. They did not cut corners.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice guns and in great shape . Here is a couple of shots of my ole girl that still shoots really well after a good bore lap and re-crown.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Sweet! Love me some rollers!
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

You may have seen this before. Its a short video of me shooting the split breech.

https://youtu.be/G4jnN6e1CjQ
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Great pictures as I piece together how the spring interacts with the hammer. What is the screw head on the underside of the receiver interior at the head of the main spring ?
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

That screw attaches the mainspring to the bottom of the receiver.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Great and interesting video as well Steve. I did notice gas escapement out the top of the receiver when you were test firing and was wondered if this was normal for the original rimfire case or if it was from the modified cases ?
The .22 blank idea to make use-able cases from center fire is very inventive and something I will surely be able to use in my own experiments.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I figured it was that or the trigger return spring screw. Now I have a clear picture of how it all works ! Sure is fun and exciting to learn something new about these unique pieces of history that we get to be caretakers of for a time. Much obliged for your interest and willingness to share knowledge !
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I had some pierced starter pistol blanks in the video. Im now using Ramsets that are tougher. I've had no problem with these. Check this thread out about yesterdays chronograph testing.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewt ... =5&t=28176
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

After the recrown and lapping out a tight spot up bore I was able to hit two steel rams offhand with the 43 Spanish at 200 meters . It also cleaned the chickens at 50 meters in our gong matches which was really fun to see in this ole well used gun. I was very surprised that the rough bore lapped out would still be so accurate and did not lead up.\
I just recently lapped out an even rougher bore and am anxiously waiting to see how well it shoots . When one thinks about it, all a bore need do is spin the bullet, not deform it and give it a clean exit. If it can accomplish these three things than I don't think the bullet give a hoot how pristine the lands and grooves are that made it happen.