Removed my Buckhorn

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Removed my Buckhorn

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Trying to cut down on the glare in my peep, especially when dialed up for distance. I think part of it is the glasses this blind man has to wear. When I am over 200 on the staff, the only way to cut the glare completely is to move the staff forward 1/8", which I don't do because I don't like the lack of repeatability.
DeadEye

Re: Removed my Buckhorn

Post by DeadEye »

Have you accurately 'plumbed' your staff in the first place?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Not enough information.
Staff at 200 ?
I have a rifle (Hepburn) that the 1,000 yard elevation is 224 and another (Borchardt) that the 1,000 elevation is 163

Setting the attitude on both rifles is the same for rear soule sights. AND, if not set properly can give the illusion of excessive glare.

Sometimes, looking through the sights with polarized glasses on will tell the difference.

Do, Deadeye, when can you and your spotter jump the line again? March 2022 maybe?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
High Desert Hunter

Honestly I have done nothing to the staff, it was installed by Shiloh, and the only thing I do is remove it with the quick release thumb screw for cleaning. When I shot at Raton, my sight setting for the buffalo was 257 marks on the staff.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Plumbing the staff is considered 'user' adjustments. Now they may have taken the time to plumb it or they may not have. See the little screw between the ears on the base, that is what you use to adjust the vertical on the staff. Put the rifle in a gun-vise and with a spirit level make sure it is horizontal. Then get a 90 degree square and make sure the staff is at 90 degrees to the barrel. Some who shoot at long range prefer to have it tipped forward about 2 degrees so that when the elevation gets 'up there' the hole in the peep is still level. I agree with DD it sounds like it is tipped back just far enough to catch the light.

DD, I don't know if Canada's answer to Mao Tse Tung will have gotten tired of being a dictator by then even.

Paul
High Desert Hunter

Thank you very much! I will look at it as soon as I get home from work! I honestly had no idea, why I really enjoy this forum.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Deadeye, concerned about you and the Northern Militia. Somewhat keeping up with what is going on there.
Will look for better days and light winds to herald your return.
Until then.................
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
High Desert Hunter

Deadeye,
I do not have a screw between the ears, there are 3 screws, 2 for the base to the rifle, and one that secures the "leaf spring".
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

That would be it, the leaf spring, different base, same principle.

Paul
High Desert Hunter

Got it, I think I am where I need to be, will shoot it hopefully weekend after next, have my grandson I haven't seen in 18 months here this weekend! Thank you again!

Dave