New Shiloh

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Graybeard

New Shiloh

Post by Graybeard »

Been awhile since posting order a Long Range Express last spring in 45-70. What you guys think of wood grades and wood finishes?? Thanks
Michael Johnson

Re: New Shiloh

Post by Michael Johnson »

First of all Shiloh's wood selection looks way better than you would expect from the grading. I have been lucky to acquire three over the last twenty years. My first was a Shiloh No.1 45-70 (bought used) with semi-fancy wood with an AA finish. It is quite attractive, dark reddish brown with some figure and some open pores. My 2nd is a LRE 45-2.6 with extra-fancy wood with AAA finish and custom bedding. It really looks like presentation grade wood, no open pores with a beautiful mirror finish. I have shot this rifle when it was pouring rain and it was reassuring knowing that the stock was well sealed. In May I took delivery of a beautiful LRE 40-90BN with semi-fancy hand select wood with AAA finish and custom bedding. The rifle is beautiful and the wood is easily the equal of my 45-2.6. I shoot these rifles in all kinds of conditions. I believe it is important to make them as weather resistant as possible.Not sure where Kirk buys the wood, but it is definitely top shelf! I do have a 1885 Winchester Hiwall with presentation grade wood with AAA finish. It looks a lot like the wood grade on my extra fancy 45-2.6.I have put tung oil on other rifles that I own. For the money, I would let Shiloh do it. They do a great job!
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks that’s what I ordered was the extra fancy and AAA. It’s hard to really tell by internet pics. Thanks
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Their semi fancy puts others to shame and the higher grades are just spectacular
Real gun powder is black.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

One thing to keep in mind is usually the fancier the grain the weaker the stock. For horse back hunting or even raft/canoe carry a work gun can still look very good and have more straight grain running through the weak areas of the pistol grip,tangs and comb nose.
The thing about Shiloh's is the fit is so near perfection that even with some burl and feather running into the grip area they are still quite stout.
Close wood to metal fit I believe is one the main factors in wood stock strength, along with cheek and tang end bedding.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I ordered custom bedding. I have a 34 inch barrel but I think I’ll change to 32. I’m going to take a vacation when it’s ready and me and the wife are heading that way to pick it up. Can’t wait.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Some competitions require a weight limit for the rifle. If you plan to shoot in one of these you might want to call Shiloh to see if your rifle will make weight the way you have it configured. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think I was told the fancier the wood the denser and heavier the wood.

Dave
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If you want to shoot silhouettes with iron sights then definitely talk to them about the weight. Scope or BPTR and the rifle can be 15 lbs and you'll likely be fine regardless of the options. I have a 34" heavy with extra fancy wood and it weighs about 13 lbs. Still under the 15 lb limit with the scope, but I don't remember the exact weight.

The wood definitely makes a difference. I've seen a 1 Lb difference between stock sets for a highwall with different grades of wood.

Chris.
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

20181025_170339_resized__1540522045_43363.jpg
Extra fancy AAA finish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP, what are your plans for this rifle?
Off hand with 34" bbl ain't fun.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
BlackJack

Post by BlackJack »

VERY NICE wood! Makes my eyes water😭😭😁!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I love good looking wood! I've heard that very appropriately referred to a "Flame" grain ! Is it on both sides?
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

IMG_0010small.JPG
Left side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

I received my call from Bill Goodman earlier this week that my LRE in 45-70 with an exhibition wood upgrade was ready to ship - my expectations are that I paid for “pop” and that is what I will see - I am excited!!!!!
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Great looking stock. I would like to shoot competition. I think closest to me is in KY. I would like to at some point shoot the Quigley shoot.